xecutionx

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Yesterday I put together my new PC: ASUS P5Q Pro, E8400 C2D, XFX 9600GT, 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2.

I want to use my old IDE Harddrive for the windows installation. This drive was pulled from my old system so it had a preexisting XP Pro installation. Now the problem is that I cannot install a new OS, I'm not given the option to 'Press any key to boot disc'. When changing drive priority, I get a message 'Reboot and select proper boot device' and still cannot boot any discs from my internal dvd drive. Currently, I have the bios set to boot the DVD Drive, Removable Disc and then the IDE Harddrive, but it loads directly to the Safe Mode screen of my old installation, which obviously BSODs on load. It detects my Harddrive and the CD Drive in the BIOS.

Any help?

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Depending on the hard drive, you might be able to download and then burn a bootable disk from the manufacturer. Often times the bootable CD will have a function to clear the hard drive.

Or, you could try a technique I used with a sh*t old computer, which essentially was to pull the IDE cable on the HD at key times to bypass it from booting up and then forcing the computer to boot to the CD.

I would suggest the first suggestion though :)