Motherboard and Ram Selection for 4870 in Crossfire

heavymetalsmith

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
So I'm looking at motherboards for two 4870's in crossfire and from what I have read and some people have said the P45 chipset won't be as nice as the X48 chipset. I would just like to double check on this before I go and commit to a X48 motherboard. What I've been looking at is Gigabyte, ASUS, and DFI from what I've read DFI seems to have a good reputation at the moment while ASUS' seems to be suffering from concerns about manufacturing quality.

DFI seems to not offer any DDR2 1200 boards except for the new Lanparty, then again the only who seems to offer stock DDR2 1200 support on the X48 is Gigabyte. Really I'm left a bit overwhelmed at the selection. I'm fairly certain DDR3 is a waste of money right now and I think most agree, though not like I am cutting corners. I would like a nice 4GB of ram on a nice Intel chipset motherboard.

In Summary:

For CF setup, X48 or P45?
A good motherboard with a full feature set and high speed memory?
Good ram pairing with the motherboard?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
GA-EX48-DS4 or EX38-DS4. Only diff is X48 supports 1600MHZ FSB officially. Both do X16 CF.

Are you overclocking the cpu & what cpu? If not, any brand name DDR2 800MHZ is ok. Mushkin Redline is a good one.