Sign in with
Your question

Data Verification Failed

Last response: in Storage
October 17, 2009 10:10:29 AM

On at least 5 occasions I burned an ISO of Ubuntu. After the burning was complete, I got a message that data verification had failed. I even burned it at the lowest speed, and tried two different programs. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could explain to me what is going on. Also, Should I purchase a new burner? I did a disc copy however with no problems.

Thanks
a c 415 G Storage
October 17, 2009 7:13:14 PM

Well, if verification fails it means that after burning the data and reading it back again, it doesn't match the original. That basically means the burn is no good or the drive can't read it properly.

The first thing I'd suspect is the media. What kind of discs are you using?
October 17, 2009 8:14:17 PM

sminlal said:
Well, if verification fails it means that after burning the data and reading it back again, it doesn't match the original. That basically means the burn is no good or the drive can't read it properly.

The first thing I'd suspect is the media. What kind of discs are you using?

Thanks for your reply.

Sony CD-R

I burned at least 7 CDs.
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
October 17, 2009 9:02:52 PM

Have you had ANY good burns with this batch of discs?

Something to try might be to open the disc tray and use a can of compressed air to blow out the innards of the drive in case you're getting a lot of dust in there.
October 17, 2009 9:08:47 PM

I tried one of those cleaner discs but there was no change. I even did a firmware update.
!