asica

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
So, I put together a system a few days ago. Installing windows, ran a few smoke tests, etc.... Everything was running fine.

I attempt to shut down today, vista goes to black screen, monitor shuts off, etc... But I notice the fans are staying on inside the case, (cpu fan, case fans, power supply).

I hit the reset button on the case - nothing - So, after about 20 more seconds I hear a loud pop and white smoke starts pouring out of the rear of the case. I unplugged the sucker and am now inspecting it.

The PSU fan still turns, no visible signs yet of damage to other components, however the PSU does smell. I'm just not 100% sure it smells because it is bad - or that it smells because of being exposed to the smoke.

Everything is hooked up ok (just double checked). Seeing as the PSU is only a few days old, I should be able to try to return it. Anything advice on other things I should look at?

Thanks

Setup:

PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V Power Supply - Retail

XFX PVT88PYSF4 GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
ASUS M3A-H/HDMI AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Amd 5000+ be (not yet overclocked)
etc...

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
if you saw smoke, im gonna guess it was the psu. i don't really see any of the other components smoking, maybe the hard drive, but more likely the psu.

asica

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008

Ok - yeah, just went through and took a second look - everything else "looks" ok for what thats worth. The PSU stinks still pretty strong.

Everything stayed on (the fans anyway) until I pulled the plug - which made for a pretty dramatic scene in my place. Smoke was pumping out of that thing.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Likely one or more capacitors went.

The system may still function at this point, but I would work on RMAing the PSU. Better to address the problem before it gets worse. If one goes, more are likely to follow.

I would pull the PSU, leave the computer open, wait an hour. Then do a visual and smell test - where is the small strongest.

Most likely the PSU as that has all the current, However a short/defective part on MB could also be the cause.

Most defects show up very quickly when used and even "The Best" PSU's on rare occations fail. Just a he__ alot fewer than junk PSU's

Only draw back to single rail PSU is that it allows the full current to be drawn on a sinlge rail. Not a Biggy as multi rail would still allow 18 AMP vs the 49 AMPS for your PSU

Even if you determine the smoke came from the PSU there is a small chance (and needs to be checked) that an overcurrent condition from external to PSU is not the cause.

asica

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
Thanks Guys!

Will check for overcurrent.

Bought the PSU through newegg so they already approved for RMA, I'm just gonna return it and go from there.

TRENDING THREADS