Friends computer. Motherboard/Power Supply malfunctioning?

endezeichen

Distinguished
May 18, 2008
I built a computer for a friend about 6 months ago or so. I had to replace his seagate hd after about only 2 months. Thought it was just a bad drive at first. Now, he's running into the same problems and I'm starting to think it's a bad power supply which may have led to damaging his mb. From what he's told me, here is what is happening:
His Windows becomes corrupted no matter how many times he reformats. His computer will say it needs to restart, then when checking indexes Windows starts "eating itself" as he puts it. Deleting core files etc. right before his eyes. He submitted error reports and said he recieved a message a few days later saying it was a hard drive problem. I couldn't believe 2 seagate hd's failed within 6 months. Then, his cd drive wouldn't boot. When I changed the SATA channels from 1 and 2 to 3 and 4, it booted. I just can't understand what could be happening. His CPU and RAM check out fine, but is it possible that a bad power supply could be responsible for these problems? Could it have damaged the motherboard causing these weird problems with the SATA? I can't provide exact specs ATM I just don't remember. Gigabyte mb and a turbo-link psu (yeah).

endezeichen

Distinguished
May 18, 2008
Thanks, I'll get the specs from everest next time I'm over...if I can. As far as antivirus I have him set up with my favorite group of programs. I call it "THE VIRUS WALL" hehe. AVG, Zonealarm, Adaware, Trojan Remover (amazing program), hijackthis, and Windows security task manager(also amazing).

Technologies8

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
check the capacitors on the MB

tell us what manufacturer and model the MB is

failing capacitors cause voltage spikes/ leaks and are sources of system instability and damaged components

suemccartin

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
My suspicion would be the onboard hard drive controller has a problem. I don't think anyone is making external controller cards anymore or I'd say disable the onboard, pop in an external hard drive controller and see where you get with that. If you've got a secondary controller on there that is not working off the main chipset see if you can boot with that one, depends on the board you have some have a second controller besides the one on the chipset.