Sign in with
Your question

Help! Frustrating problem.

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2008 5:32:48 PM

So I just built a new system a few weeks ago. I've installed default drivers and have upgraded to Windows Vista 32 bit(yeah I know...I already screwed up!) and it seems that in games that use direct x ie: counterstrike/day of defeat/age of conan my screen will flicker or not show the textures properly. It does not happen all the time and it happens moreso on certain maps/areas. Nonetheless it's extremely frustrating. On top of that, it seems that if I leave my computer on for a few hours (even with very little processes running) if I try to play counterstrike source every few minutes my system will bottleneck and lock up completely for 5 seconds or so. It will consistently do that every few minutes until I reboot my computer. So does anyone have any idea? Here are my specs:

Asus M2A-V2M Mobo
Athlon X2 3400+
Samsung 2x 2 Gig 1066 DDR2 PC8500
400 GB 16mb buf Western Digital Caviar Sata Drive
XFX Geforce 8800 GT 512mb
Windows Vista

More about : frustrating problem

June 20, 2008 5:43:13 PM

Have you installed the latest drivers for your vid card?
June 20, 2008 6:09:55 PM

Dodgerblue

Shez
Have you installed the latest drivers for your vid card?

I would try what shez said first,also what psu do you have?I think the 8800gt uses at least 22 amp on the 12 volt rail of the psu.and I upgraded 1 month ago to vista and I love it,all games I play work great.hope this helps you out.
Related resources
June 21, 2008 7:09:16 AM

I have a 640w PSU that I just bought as well. I actually have been told to use the default drivers from the XFX driver cd. Everyone I have talked to says that the NVidia drivers are too specific. I have tried all 3 sets of drivers (new nvidia drivers, original xfx drivers, new xfx drivers) and I have had the same problem with all 3.
June 21, 2008 11:45:11 AM

overheating perhaps? most modern day chips slow up if they overheat too much, to bring the temps back down so they dont fry the chips. that explains the lockup 5 seconds thingy... err this is kinda nooby but i dont no **** about that AMD but it could be bottlenecking that 8800GT... idk really thats just my take on it so yeah...
June 21, 2008 11:46:23 AM

spit...
June 21, 2008 11:46:58 AM

not sugar honey ice tea... sry for the triple post LOL...
!