Sign in with
Your question

Which version to buy?

Last response: in Windows 7
September 1, 2011 3:38:31 AM

I have an Acer Aspire 5515 with Vista and would like get rid of it. I prefer XP but since there is no longer support for that OS, the prudent thing would be to buy Windows 7. However, I have no idea if my laptop will accept Windows 7 and I don't know which version to buy and I am totally confused between 32 & 64 bit.

Could someone please advise??

Thanks

More about : version buy

September 1, 2011 4:34:12 AM

I've been told there is a system scan on the Microsoft/Windows website that tells you whether you're W7-ready. As for which version, I would get Home Premium. It's great for home/ everyday use, gaming, and so on. However, you are limited to just 16GB of RAM. Definitely use 64-Bit if you meet all the requirements for it. The 64-Bit allows for a more responsive OS.
m
l
Related resources
September 1, 2011 5:11:27 AM

If it supports Vista, it should support W7 too. You may install a 64 bit version and run it, but you don't need it, because your laptop supports only up to 4GB of RAM.
m
l
September 1, 2011 6:39:26 AM

psst.... ubuntu.... thats all i need to say, but if you choose that path do a little research first and ask some questions in the ubuntu forums
m
l
September 1, 2011 7:42:41 AM

k1114 said:
64bit is not more responsive. What are your specs?

Here's the program to tell if you're compatible. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/up... Although it might be possible that vista drivers work on 7.

A 64-bit version is usually faster when it comes to programs and applications that can take advantage of increased amount RAM that the OS can support. It can handle background tasks better with the extra RAM. I may have been wrong when I said "more responsive." Perhaps I should have said, "handles system tasks better."
m
l
September 1, 2011 7:50:21 AM

Check the compatabilty site. Some programs simply will not run in 64 bit.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 1, 2011 4:17:14 PM

AbdullahG said:
A 64-bit version is usually faster when it comes to programs and applications that can take advantage of increased amount RAM that the OS can support. It can handle background tasks better with the extra RAM. I may have been wrong when I said "more responsive." Perhaps I should have said, "handles system tasks better."

Although a 64 bit OS can handle more memory it will also take more memory and more resources, so if his system isn't good enough or if he doesn't even have 4gb+ ram than his system will be slower. Also a program doesn't run faster with more ram unless it uses a lot of ram like video editing software where the cpu would then have to empty and fill the ram at the same time to not fill it, meaning less cpu resources for the task or bg tasks.
m
l
September 1, 2011 5:46:29 PM

OK, I guess then I need to know which would be best for me. I am a multi-tasker. I usually have 4 or 5 things going at the same time. I like to listen to music while at the same time I am surfing the net and playing a card game but I am not a heavy gamer.
m
l
September 1, 2011 6:08:10 PM

honestly windows 7 IS a step up from Vista,, but it's not as large a leap as you may expect,, perhaps wait for #8 if you can,, it should only be a few more months.

(I don't recommend a Vista upgrade unless absolutely necessary as I totally try to fix/repair things for free)
m
l
September 1, 2011 6:15:19 PM

^^according to what K1114 dug up,, looks as though it's your PC that's slow and not Vista,, upgrading to 7 will just give you a slow 7 system instead of a slow vista system.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 1, 2011 6:19:40 PM

W8 won't be out for another year (supposedly fall 2012) although the beta is said to be coming out soon since w8 is said to be having a 12 month beta.

I've tried vista and 7 on a slow laptop and can tell you it is a noticeable difference, 7 is much better at memory management. But may not be worth it if you're buying it at $100. I got it for $30 student price.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 1, 2011 6:53:32 PM

win7 home edition is good enough, did try the bitlocker in ultimate,

its rubish use something like truecrypt instead

tried xp mode, its slow and again i dont use, if i need to do anythin in a virtual machine ill use virtualbox

unless your a student or can get professional cheap (got mine for £50 last year) got for home premium

most people id recomend to go x64 (64 bit) mainly becasue of the ram limitations, your limited to 4gb ram including video card ram,

win7 loves to eat up ram
m
l
!