Sign in with
Your question

Can't identify ethernet and other hardware

Last response: in Components
August 8, 2008 7:09:11 AM

After much frustratiion not being able to use restore discs on my WindowsXP notebook, I finally was able to re-install Windows, but serveral drivers are missing including the Ethernet. I have used Sisoft Sandra, etc. to try and see the make and model of the ethernet, etc. to no avail. The drivers are on the restore discs which are useless. Generic drivers on Windows didn't seem to kick in. How can I identify the hardware components brand, etc. so I can hit the web for drivers? Thanks.
August 8, 2008 7:22:53 AM

there are third party programs you can use for that but you have to pay for most of them. my recommendation is simply go to your notebooks manufacturer page. find the page for your make and model and collect the drivers listed there for your ethernet. after you get your ethernet adapter installed properly let windows update install the drivers it can then go back to that site and collect whatever drivers your still missing.
August 8, 2008 7:31:59 AM

vegettonox said:
there are third party programs you can use for that but you have to pay for most of them. my recommendation is simply go to your notebooks manufacturer page. find the page for your make and model and collect the drivers listed there for your ethernet. after you get your ethernet adapter installed properly let windows update install the drivers it can then go back to that site and collect whatever drivers your still missing.
Is right also if you have a restore disk it is there but if you have problems tell us the make/model so we can help
August 8, 2008 7:49:12 AM

if your on the internet to post, look up the model of your laptop. theres gotta be a sticker somewhere, or use scisoft sandra or dr hardware. you usually need to look on the motherboard tab to see who made the mobo, then look that mobo model up.

Related resources
!