no display, no beep, no power, no joy

warlock257

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
Hello

I've started building a new system because my old system stopped wanting to boot. There was no motherboard beep or display when starting. I figured either the motherboard or CPU had worn out
I figured it was time for an upgrade anyway, so I bought this barebone kit:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3905996&Sku=A455-2812 H

I transfered over my, CPU fan, video card, sound card, hard drives, and DVD drive from the old system.

After putting it all together, I was greated by the exact same problem. No display, no beeps. The fans are spinning, but ocaisionally they will stop spinning after a few seconds. It did start once, the first time, but never since then.

My system is the link above...plus
-2 maxtor IDE drives
-1 DVD-RW drive
-XFX Geforce 8600 GTS
-Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum (with live drive)
-The CPU fan that came with the Athlon X2 4800+ I had before.

Because the fans stop spinning leads me to beleive there is a power problem. I've tried 2 different power supplies however, one 2 weeks old, one brand new. The only thing I can think of is that there is a short curcuit somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
did you plug the 4 pin into the motherboard as well? Thats what ive found will usually keep it from doing anything. Also did you try getting it to boot with no video card, hard drive, dvd, and minimal ram?

warlock257

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
yep..plugged in the 4 pin

I just tried it again, outside of the case with only CPU, RAM and video card in. Same thing, no beeps.
The motherboard or CPU has to be dead. I don't see any other possibility

I also noticed that the heatsink over the chipset on the board was REALLY hot! It was only running less than 30 seconds at a time too.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
It could be a bad mobo or processor, the other thing that might do this is if the default bios settings doesn't give enough voltage to your ram for the computer to boot. Try it with only 1 stick of ram. Also you can try taking the video card out. I know you wont be able to see if it posts but you can do things like hit the num lock key on the keyboard to see if its working.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
warlock257 have rechecked the front panel header to see if they are plugged in correctly.but you could be right about a short,if that chipset wich is probably the northbridge,and for it to get that hot in 30 sec thats bad.also may check to make sure none of the standoffs are in wrong place under the motherboard.hopes this helps you.

warlock257

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
i tried it with 1 stick of ram, and with no video card.
I even tried it with no CPU in there.
no beeps.
I placed the standoffs in by the 6 holes, and they all lined up.

At least the hardware is brand new, so I can exchange it at the store.

Thanks for the responses.

Pokey_Joe

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
A wierd thing, that happend to me with a Dell, it was the floppy driver & cable, unpluged them and it booted right up, you may want to remove everything but the CPU and PSU and see if you get a fan to budge and the board to beep. then start adding things till it breaks. That the easiest way to find the problem.

warlock257

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
Could a CPU fan do something like that, prevent it from booting?
I don't really want to turn it on with no fan though.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
warlock257 alote of new motherboard the cpu fan will take aleast 30 sec before they usealy start spinning ,and then stop for maybe 30 sec more then should spin correctly.no beep could be cpu bad.sense the mobo supports 64x2 cpu's it should support 4800 x 2.you mite try your old cpu and see if it will beep.also if you transfer old stock and heatsink the new 6000 that came with case should have came with a different heatsink and fan,try that too.hope this helps you .lol

Latest posts