Removing thermal compound

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I am installing a new Arctic 64 Pro tomorrow and i dont know if i need to remove my cpu to clean off the old paste or not ? i got the remover from Tuniq and new compound. Any help would be great. There will probly be instructions but i dont know for sure.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
You don't need to remove the actual CPU. Turn the 4 pins on the present CPU co9oler and gently pull up on each of the 4 pins. The cooler should seperate with a bit of wiggling etc.

The CPU will have the gunk on it. Use qtips to get the gunk off, use a paper towel to clean the cpu off on the flat area, a bit of standard house isopropyl alcohol on is fine. Then use the fancy cleaning stuff for the last clean/wipedown, and put the paste on per directions.

You should remove the whole mobo for this operation, but it's up to you.

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

Just a ten percent twist of the HSF each way. I let it run all night and the temps still havent dropped.

kite212

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
i use the 2 part, cleaner and surface purifier. i use coffee filters, they work the best, they don't leave fibers. i never remove the cpu when i clean them i find it easier. and you need it to run through several thermal cycles for the compound to properly set up, i think as5 is like 200 therm cycles or something like that

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
So i took it off, cleaned it again and this time used about a pea sized drop of compound in the middle of the cpu. Temps still not dropping. I pt the cooler in with the fan facing the front of my case. Is that the right way? Its an Arctic 64 Pro. Maybe im just expecting too much? My PII 720 is oc'ed to 3.1Mhz with just a bump in the multiplier. I am afraid to go higher cuz i hit 62c after twenty minutes at load.

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Now after over an hour at load Everest is saying Core 62c tempcore1, 2, and 3 are all at 47c. I guess i dont understand how to read the temps. Which one do i need to be concerned with ? Sorry for all the stupid questions i just dont want to ruin my puter :( my wife would kill me LOL

gearmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
You might want to try something like Arctic Silver Arcti Clean. That stuff really helped me get all the goonk off my CPU. Its nice to start fresh without any residue.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Alcohol and Qtips, paper towels are plenty enuff if done with care etc.

Guess reading the temps properly is your first issue. There is soo much info on everest and how to calibrate etc out there. Everest might be a bit overkill and it's complicated. I don't bother with it.

Realtemp? You try it yet?

You check your Tpaste pattern?

Does your CPU HS use pins or screws?

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

Man i will tell you what, i cleaned the hell out of that crap with isopropyl and the tuniq-2 stuff. i have been gone for 4 hrs. and its been idling at cpu 46c and all cores at 32c. as far as everest says. i just dont know.

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

I havent tried Realtemp. I am using Speedfan right now and it is reading the same thing. My pattern for my Tpaste was just a pea sized drop in the middle of cpu. Any suggestions for a better way to apply?