should i upgrade my graphics card on a micro-atx?

albobear

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I just got a new HP A6402F desktop and was wondering if it was feasible to install a new XFX 8800GT 512 card? This computer uses a micro atx motherboard and I have recently purchased the card. Currently I am awaiting the arrival of a new power supply to replace the existing 300w psu. What concerns me is that the case/motherboard seems a little cramped with possibly wires touching the card. The card I heard can get really hot so I wouldn't want any wires touching it. Can anyone provide some insight? :(

MayDay94

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
i have an 8800gt in a matx case (custom build) and have no heat issues. i also don't have any wires touching it. can you use zip ties or velcro to keep wires away?

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
The big thing thats going to trip you up is your PSU. You need to have enough power to run the card first and foremost. I recommend no less than 500 watts. Wires touching the card wont be and issue, but cable management will be to keep heat down.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
The OP has already said he's got a new PSU on the way... sounds like he's just got space issues at this point. A card like that will add considerable heat to such a small enclosure so proper ventilation will come into play as well.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Thats why I said 500 watts, as he didnt say what he is putting in. Do some cable management to help with the wires touching issue. The enclosure isnt that small. Its just a mid tower case. Heat is the real issue. Cable management will help with that, but possibly adding a fan to the case may be a must. The card isnt going to get hot enough to melt a wire.

A 400W power supply is enough for an 8800GT.
Check your video card product specifications for your exact product needs.
Or if you specify your hardware and the amps on the 12v rails (see PSU label), we can be more exact.

albobear

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Thanks guys for the replies. Sorry for not listing more specific details, but here they are:

My computer specs can be seen from the following link

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01390591&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=3677047&prodTypeId=12454

I will be getting a Thermaltake TR2 550W which apparently has two 12v rails bringing a combined total of 29amps (15 on one and 14 on the other)

I can't seem to find the requirements from XFX website on the amp requirements but i heard for other 8800 cards it is usually 24 to 26 amps.

BTW where do you guys usually buy zip ties or any other things i can use to tie up my wires? Can you get them from major outlets like futureshop, etc or are they mostly from OEM stores?