Help Which of these is best processor.

hothit

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Hi, i am looking at getting a boxx tech 3d boxx and i am looking at two different boxes. I would like to know which of three processors is the best one. Everything all other specs on workstation are similar except for processor. I am looking at Either the "Dual AMD Opteron Model 2356", or the "Dual AMD Opteron Model 2222" for the 7550 Series

I am also looking at the "Intel® Core 2 Extreme Processor QX6850" processor for the Boxx 4600 series.

Please tell me which is the best option and whether the gap between them is huge I am configuring a workstation from a manufacture with these chips as options. HELP PLEASE thanx

hothit

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
I feel there is some additional info i must add. The Workstation that runs the intel has ddr3 memory and the one that runs the amd uses ddr2 memory.

Also For the AMD Processors the opteron 2356 is a 2.3ghz quad core and the opteron model 2222 is 3.0 ghz dual core.

For the intel it is a 3ghz quad core.

I configured everything except the processors the same and they run me at about the same price. I really don't know whether to decide on the 7550 or the 4600. From Mondoman's Post though it sounds like i should go for the 4600 the intel one.

http://www.boxxtech.com/Products/3DBOXX/3DBOXX.asp

Mondoman

Splendid
Thanks for the link. I see now that I assumed too much. The Intel system has only a single 4-core CPU, while the AMD system has two quad-core CPUs, each a bit slower than the single Intel CPU, but together more powerful, if your software can use the extra cores effectively. Also, the AMD system can hold lots more RAM, and has RAID 5 built in, while the Intel system has only RAID 0/1/10. On the other hand, I'd trust the Intel chipset (in the Intel system) much more than the nVidia chipset (in the AMD system). I'd also look for a plug-in card to manage RAID.
Thus, I wouldn't be happy with either of the systems you mention -- sorry!