EK supreme cracking

Noobie09

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
hey guys,

I have just built a system with an Ek supreme wb. The acrylic top one.

I put some thread locker on the 13mm fittings then did them up just past finger tight. Now i have lots of little cracks coming out from the threads. non have cracked the surface though.

should i be worried??

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I would be. Can't say for sure. But the cracks will get worse in time. Get a replacement top as soon as possible.

Top was poorly made, stressed during manufacturing, the threadlocker (dunno why anyone would use it) reacted with acrylic or you overtightened the barbs.

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Depends on the thread locker. Some have alcohol in them that can cause the acrylic to become very brittle.

-ouch1

Noobie09

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
From Conumdrum,

"the threadlocker (dunno why anyone would use it) reacted with acrylic or you overtightened the barbs".

i used locktite 401 , i thought it would give me a better seal without having to over tighten the barbs. the back of the bottle states these ingredients.

methacrylate esters and cumene hydroperoxide."

am i in trouble or do you think it will be ok for a few months.

thankyou for the comments thus far.

ahnirv

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Methacrylate is a monomer of acrylic (polymethyl methacrylate), so yeah, its actualy designed to react with acrylic. It is a component of the stuff they use to weld acrylic and related plastics, depending on the solvents and other ingredients they used in the threadlocker it could cause damage to the acrylic stuff.

General rule of thumb for threadlockers - do not use with any kind of plastic

Threadlockers(anaerobic adhesives) are pretty much for metal only