Raid 0 atapi incompatible

I had set up an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 as a Raid 0 system using two WD 500GB drives - Windows 7 RC 64 bit. The rig had been working for about 4 months when I got the bright idea to change out the stock i7 CPU cooler with a Xigmatek Dark Knight heat pipe. Of course this meant removing the MB so that I could install the back plate that helps support the heat pipe assembly.
After plugging everything back in and booting up I realized that the BIOS had gone back to factory defaults and, of course, would not finish the process. I went in and changed the storage configuration back to RAID and tried to boot up again. It auto-detected the DVD drive on SATA port 1, one of the hard drives on SATA port 5 but I noticed that when it got to "Auto Detecting SATA Port 6" it hung up for about 30 seconds before going to the Intel Matrix Storage (RAID) Manager screen. There I get the message that the RAID Status is "Failed" and that there is only one 500GB(+/-) member disk. If I let the system try and continue on I end up with the message that the disk on port 6 is "ATAPI incompatable".
I would have sworn that I installed the SATA cables back exactly in the original ports but I went ahead and switched the port 5 & 6 cables (the only ones that I could have gotten backwards) to see if that would work. No such luck. Now it would hang as it was detecting port 5 for about 30 seconds and I would end up getting the same messages in the Intel Matrix Controller as above. I switched around the power cable ends as well and there doesn't seem to be a problem with that.
I saw a post here about someone that had a similar problem on a new build and the solution seemed to be setting the BIOS to factory defaults and changing back to RAID. I tried that but to no avail. Somewhere else I read that the CMOS might need to be reset. I used the jumper on the MB to do that but it did not work either (other than setting my dates back to Jan, 01, 2002). I then proceeded to flash the BIOS with the latest one from the Asus website - another suggestion I read about - but that did not work either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am about to go and get a 1TB drive, install Win7 on it, and reformat the 500GB drives as I doubt that there will be any files that I can salvage from them. At least they will be good backup drives...
4 answers Last reply
More about raid atapi incompatible
  1. Have you tried enabling the RAID Option ROM,
    and selecting it during POST?

In your motherboard User Manual, see heading:
    "Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM utility":

CNTL-I during POST should run that utility.

You said that your BIOS settings reverted to factory defaults:
    those defaults probably disable that IMSM option ROM utility.

MRFS
  2. On closer examination of your User Manual,
    it appears that the option ROM utility
    is enabled automatically when RAID is selected.

In that case, you still should try CNTL-I
    to run that option ROM utility during POST:
    it should tell you if it can detect
    the HDDs cabled to the main SATA ports.

See your User Manual for further details
    (Page 4-46 in the version I downloaded
    several weeks ago for that motherboard):

"Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM utility"

MRFS
  3. Thanks for the reply.
    I had tried that but it shows the same info as the initial Matrix Manager screen (other than now allowing you to create, delete, reset the RAID volume) - after pressing CNTL-I the RAID volume is shown as 931.5GB in size but there is only one 465.7GB physical disk indicated as a member disk on port 4. The other disk does not show up. Could this be related to the message I get later on saying that the second disk is ATAPI incompatible?

MRFS said:
    On closer examination of your User Manual,
    it appears that the option ROM utility
    is enabled automatically when RAID is selected.

In that case, you still should try CNTL-I
    to run that option ROM utility during POST:
    it should tell you if it can detect
    the HDDs cabled to the main SATA ports.

See your User Manual for further details
    (Page 4-46 in the version I downloaded
    several weeks ago for that motherboard):

"Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM utility"

MRFS
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID Western Digital Storage