Upgrade to HIS Radeon HD 2600 XT (AGP)

Shaddox

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Hey guys, here's my current setup (I've been running it since 2005):

AMD 64 Athlon 3200+ Socket 754, Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo, 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 (x2 512MB sticks), Leadtek Geforce 6600GT (AGP).

Lately I've been looking at the HIS Radeon HD 2600 XT (AGP) from:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3570059&CatId=2234

Since I have a budget of little over $100 would this card give me enough bang for my buck? Also I've lurked around the net for awhile looking up reviews from a couple of different sites and I'm finding that a big problem with this card is the lack of driver support. Are there any other major problems you guys might have had with this card that I should know about?

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I myself have no opinions on what to do with your $100..but to answer your question as you intended, the xt is a big freakin card for agp. the memory speed for the xt is useless, even when it uses it. Factually matching ram speed closer to your system is a FAST idea.
My last agp is on a hyper threader and dual channel setup, and really really like the 2600pro. the xt was an option of course, but have been with agp for its short 10 years (since the beginning) and said no to myself. Just my advice, don't pay no mind. slap the 30psi turbo on that civic, its a manly thing to do. so manly.

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Depend on your budget
You'll get some gain ? Yes
Amazing gain and be able to run any game you throw ? NO
X850XT Platinium (AGP8) was able to run Crysis at Med. settings
Otherwise if you are thinking of new system get ready for 1500$

Shaddox

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have to admit the 3850 looks pretty sexy to say the least. One problem I have with it though are the power requirements, I'm currently running a 650 watt PSU with a single 12v rail that runs 24 amps. The 3850 recommends 30 amps, like my close friend I'm rather picky when it comes to energy powering my rigs (had an explosive problem a year ago). But I'd really like an AGP upgrade, the next time I spend money on an upgrade will be at least 4 years down the road and by then, I'll have to research all the new advancements all over again ;).

So, at the moment I'd still like some advice on the matter. Thanks :)