rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Pea size would be way too much...think about using about the size of a grain of rice or roughly that size. Don't use your bare finger...at least stick it in a plastic baggie and then dab it around. You really don't even need to do that...the heatsink should spread it out as you install and apply pressure.

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

Thank you very much. I read an article that said to use a dime size amount http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/non.gif

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
If i am not noticing any temp difference between my stock hsf and my new arctic 64 did i do something wrong? The fan hasnt gone above 800rpm. Too much compound maybe? Something else maybe ?

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Have you run the CPU under load? Then you might see a diff.

Thats when a good HS shows it's charms.

Benching software and such is very varied. I use these for each purpose:
These are pretty standard and used by many.
Monitoring the PC temps overall: HWmonitor aka hardware monitor
CPUZ for CPU info
GPUZ for GPU info
CPU only: RealTemp
GPU only: ATI Tool, I have a Nivida GTX280, so it works on Nvidia

Loading/benching tools:
CPU loaders: Prime95 and OCCT
GPU Loaders: ATI Tool and the best one is Furmark, nothing pushes the GPU harder right now.
Benching for overall graphics/gaming performance is 3DMark06

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

Does Realtemp work with AMD ?

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Here is a link to the Arctic Silver 5 instructions for applying thermal paste. It is not MX-2 but... same difference really.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Don’t be afraid to test the temps under load and remove the heatsink a few times... I usually do this 4 or 5 times until I’m satisfied i have achieved lowest temps possible.

Use a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol to clean the MX-2 off each time.

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

Thank you. Well i put on my arctic 64 pro once and used WAY to much compound. Took it back off along with my radeon 4830 and cleaned the old compound off with tuniq-2 cleaner. Applied two small thin lines on the cpu and one small line on the gpu. Speedfan now says idle temp1-39c temp2- 33c temp3-46c core 36c. So i think after reading the arctic silver way i am going to do it again. It definitely seems like my idle temps should be lower.