Sign in with
Your question

Do drives effect game performance? or software load times?

Last response: in Storage
October 18, 2009 1:31:35 PM

Do drives effect game performance? or software load times? I have this:LG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Combo LG Blu-ray Reader & 16X LightScribe DVD±R DVD Burner and was trying to decide on installing my old MSI 52X CD-RW or buy a new Plextore 24X DVD-RW and if any would improve my software load times?
a b G Storage
October 20, 2009 1:17:31 PM

A faster drive will help.
A virtual copy of the CD, if allowed, would be even faster.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
October 20, 2009 1:31:02 PM

Modern games shouldn't use the cd, since its too slow for that. Instead, it would copy ~10GB to your drive as its alot faster. The CD/DVD is only required for the copyright protection; not to use any data at all.

I just convert my game cd/dvd's to ISO and install from the network. :) 
m
l
Related resources
October 20, 2009 5:55:46 PM

What about in simple software loading? Is it better to have a 52x CD-RW or a 24x DVD-RW?
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
October 21, 2009 3:42:59 PM

Normally no software is run directly from cd/dvd, only at installation time. So after the installation, it doesn't matter whether you have 0,000001 speed or 99999999 speed CD/DVD drive.
m
l
October 23, 2009 2:52:52 PM

It just that my LG Blu Ray Rom seems so incredibly slow.
m
l
October 24, 2009 12:18:01 AM

sub mesa said:
Modern games shouldn't use the cd, since its too slow for that. Instead, it would copy ~10GB to your drive as its alot faster. The CD/DVD is only required for the copyright protection; not to use any data at all.

I just convert my game cd/dvd's to ISO and install from the network. :) 

hOW DO i DO THAT?
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
October 24, 2009 2:45:04 AM

Converting a cd to ISO format can be done with alot of utilities, one of which is MagicISO under Windows; since i use Linux everything is free there and without any copyright protection.

Using ISOs from the network can be done with Daemon Tools for Windows, which acts like a virtual DVD-ROM drive with a .ISO inserted; it creates an additional drive letter where you can access the contents of the CD/DVD image.

Again: after installation it should not matter how fast you can read from the cd/dvd, because its only used for copyright protection not for reading actual data. It doesn't copy 10GB to your harddrive for nothing. :) 

Games in the past would copy about 5MB to your HDD and have all the data on the CD-ROM instead, for example the movies which consume alot of space. But i haven't seen this with any modern game.
m
l
!