please help with an upgrade....

hello all.. well i'm not a complete newb when it comes to PC's But i feel overwhelmed with all the options and information thats out there.. here is my predicament
I'm a gamer and i'm looking to get the best graphics and the best performance i could get.. here is my current rig.

CPU: Amd Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2.61

Memory: A-DATA 4.00GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
(new Bio's support AM2+)

Video Card: ZOTAC ZT-98XES2P-FCP GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

Power Supply: Antec True Power Trio 650w

I'm a complete Newb to over clocking since i fried my last pc when i tried it for the 1st time.. so i'm a little scared

i run my games at 1680 X 1050

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU but im unsure wither to go with a Dual Core with a Higher Speed or to Get a quad-core...

here are the 2 candidates i have...

Either:AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor

or

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor

which should i get.. also whats a good air cooling fan just in case i decide to Over Clock.. any input would greatly appreciated..
I'm torn and confused between the two...
8 answers Last reply
More about please upgrade
  1. You'd be better off with the X2 6000.

For a good HSF I recommend the XIGMATEK S1283.
  2. Shadow703793 said:
    You'd be better off with the X2 6000.

thank you so much... so you think i'd get better performance fromthe x2 6000.. even with games that support multithreading?
  3. I don't think you'll see much if any noticeable gaming difference with that little of a CPU upgrade (either one).
  4. Mondoman said:
    I don't think you'll see much if any noticeable gaming difference with that little of a CPU upgrade (either one).

Agreed. Your money would be better spent on a second video card. Your PSU and MB already support that.
  5. aevm said:
    Agreed. Your money would be better spent on a second video card. Your PSU and MB already support that.

ok then well i have another question.. i was reading that my motherboard only supports sli at 8x on both ports will it hurt the performance if i have 2 of those same cards running on SLI at 8X what do you guys recommend? also my Power Supply Is only 650w is that enough juice to run 2 of these video cards?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500039
  6. ^The difference between x8 and x16 is minimal. I remember a article on it and the difference didn't show until like x4 or x2.
  7. Shadow703793 said:
    You'd be better off with the X2 6000.

MEASURE BEFORE YOU BUY THE S1283!!!!
    I have an Antec 900 and I have less than 2cm clearance with no side fan...
    IMO It's an extremely good HSF
  8. The Antec TruePower Trio 650W is certified by nVidia for two 8800GT. No worries there.
    http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html

I don't know how much the 8x+8x issue affects the 8800GT cards, sorry. Still, even if the MB becomes a bottleneck, I think you'll see an improvement. For example an 8800GTX works fine in a PCI-E 1.0 slot at 8x, it only loses a few percentage points of speed.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product