bryan240g

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I built my first system approx. 1 month ago. I am using the evga 780i mobo, and I have q9450 with the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink. I have noticed since day 1 that my temps are not close together like I imagined they would be. Up until today I have been using the stock cooler, but now I added the xigmatek cooler, and my temps have not changed. I applied a small amount(the size of a bb) to the cpu and spread it across the surface with a card, and then applied the cooler and the backplate, and it feels very secure but I didn't wanna over tighten it. I am considering lapping the cpu, and the heatsink, but am a little nervous. I tried to provide a screenshot, but I haven't figured out how to upload a pic yet. Can anybody help me with the te,p issues?

Core 0 - 48 C
Core 1 - 47 C
Core 2 - 50 C
Core 3 - 70 C (Kinda High in my opinion, compared to the others)

Thanks.

sailer

Splendid
You might get a few degrees cooler by lapping the heatsink, as some are pretty even when they come out of the factory. Don't lap the CPU, unless you're fully prepared to toss the CPU in the trashcan. Once lapped, the warranty on the CPU is gone. While I've only cooked one CPU ever, its nice to be able to send the thing back for replacement it an overclock somehow burns it up. But lapping destroys the warranty, so any mistakes comes directly out of your pocket.

As for the temps you're recording, core 3 is definitely high. Even when running Prime95 for a for hours, my QX9650 doesn't get over 60c. Since it appears that you do have the optional backplate. screw that heatsink down tight. It should be able to take a lot more pressure than you can exert with a screw driver. If it isn't tight enough, it might not have good enough contact to siphon away the heat properly. My guess at the moment is that the heatsink isn't in good, even contact with the CPU and you're getting a hot spot in the area of core 3.

bryan240g

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
If I clean off the cpu, and I am looking at the top of the chip, where I can read the words. Which portion of the chip is core 3? top left, bottom right, etc. ???

bryan240g

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I am reading replies in various forums, to my high temp question, and some are saying that i may have 1 stuck snesor on my cpu. Does anybody agree with this?
This is a guy from another forum replying to my issue. Does anyone agree with him?

It looks to me that you have a stuck sensor on #3. You are lucky, IMO, because I have two stuck on my 9650. The average temperatures on the other three don't seem to be that high and look normal. I would continue to monitor it and "drive on." I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

bryan240g

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I built my first system approx. 1 month ago. I am using the evga 780i mobo, and I have q9450 with the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink. I have noticed since day 1 that my temps are not close together like I imagined they would be. Up until today I have been using the stock cooler, but now I added the xigmatek cooler, and my temps have not changed. I applied a small amount(the size of a bb) to the cpu and spread it across the surface with a card, and then applied the cooler and the backplate, and it feels very secure but I didn't wanna over tighten it. I am considering lapping the cpu, and the heatsink, but am a little nervous. I have provided a screenshot. Can anybody help me?

akhilles

Splendid
Not exactly stuck, the core temps in Penryn are only accurate at high temps. My 2nd core is not moving as fast as the 1st. I could care less. It ain't blowing up. Worry about the cpu temp.

bryan240g

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
So I removed the heatsink, and thouroughly cleaned the cpu, and the heatsink, even the tiny grooves where the 3 pipers are. and reapplied 2 lines of AS5 worked into the tiny grooves on the sides of the piping, and then out it back onto the cpu and tightened it down using the backplate until the screws stopped, so it cannot be tightened anymore. I fored it back up, and have the EXACT same issue. I did notice that 1 of the heatsink pipes, had what appeared to be a small partial fingerprint and a very small amount of discoloration. But it was at the outter corner. I wish I had saved the box so I could have rma'ed it. I think I will go to fry's tomorrow and by a Zalman 9700nt, they have them there reletively cheap. What do you guys think? I am running prime right now (small fft), and monitoring with the same temp monitors(cpuid harware monitor, and realtemp 2.6), and core 3 is still 12-13 degrees higher(right now it is at 77 degrees), oh and I am not overclocking at all. I have excellant airflow thru the case. HELP!!!!

akhilles

Splendid
77 is a tad high. Then again, the core sensor may be stuck. If the other cores are in the mid 60's under load, you're ok.

Like I said, use speedfan instead. The new one has improved.