Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking Dell E520 Possable???????

Last response: in Overclocking
June 4, 2009 7:40:04 AM

hi, i bought a dell e520 desktop, it had a celeron d 3.06 in it, swapped it for a c2d e4300, was wondering if overclocking is possable with the dell board, its running at 1.8ghz and ive seen people overclock this cpu to 3ghz but no info on the dell board, any help would be great

Best solution

June 4, 2009 1:39:21 PM

i doubt you will be able to overclock it because PC makers like dell give very limited options in the BIOS. i doubt there will be any controls in there to adjust ram timings and FSB speeds.
June 4, 2009 6:30:09 PM

when i go into my bios what do i look for?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 4, 2009 7:54:09 PM

To overclock you need to be able to adjust at least the FSB (Front Side Bus). It also helps to be able to raise voltages and change RAM ratios. Anyway those options are usually locked on dells. To get those options back you're going to need to use a hacked BIOS. Of course if you don't know what you're doing and flash a wrong or corrupted BIOS you will end up with a dead board, but hey no risk no reward :D .
m
l
June 4, 2009 9:55:38 PM

well went into my bios, seems i "cannot change the vlaues" its only for display purpose, well thats the end of that thread, lol, thanks again
m
l
June 4, 2009 10:12:59 PM

You should be able to software oc it, which although not as solid does work, I had it on my old acer aspire t180 (athlon 64 3500+, 2.2ghz single core, see why i wanted to oc), it all depends on what chipset you have... so what do you have? (cpu-z)
m
l
June 4, 2009 10:20:06 PM

Yes the only way is to software overclock it like with ClockGen, if you see my Dell is overclocked to 2.28GHz that is with software :lol: 

Be careful and watch temps. Dell's have poor cooling sometimes, and aren't meant for overclocking.
m
l
June 4, 2009 10:28:16 PM

AKM880 said:
Yes the only way is to software overclock it like with ClockGen, if you see my Dell is overclocked to 2.28GHz that is with software :lol: 

Be careful and watch temps. Dell's have poor cooling sometimes, and aren't meant for overclocking.

ha nice dude I couldnt use clock gen though, either for 2 reasons (can't remember) there was something wrong with the drivers or it wasnt compatible with my nforce6 chipset...
so i downloaded the nvidia oc tool and autoclocked it from 2.2 to like 2.5 or 2.6ghz

still though hard overclocking is always the best i got my phenom II 940 X4 from 3.0 to 3.5 and im not done - all on stock cooling
m
l
June 4, 2009 11:36:20 PM

What version of ClockGen was it? It should autoatically recognize the motherboard, did you use nTune?
m
l
June 5, 2009 12:17:47 AM

yeah ntune thats it... and it was the newest version of clockgen at the time... and now that I think about it it was in the earlier stages of windows 7 beta, maybe even before it was released on the ms website, and there was something wrong with the driver signing... or that was another prgoram and clockgen just didnt work on my board, even though it detected it
m
l
June 5, 2009 1:55:22 AM

cpuz shows chipset intel p965/g965
m
l
June 5, 2009 2:04:01 AM

EDIT: Sorry replying to : "well went into my bios, seems i "cannot change the vlaues" its only for display purpose, well thats the end of that thread, lol, thanks again"

Just like I said, BIOS overclocking can't be done on Dell's. They have to be software overclocked like I did. You'll need ClockGen - to overclock the CPU, SpeedFan - to montor temps, Prime95 - to stress test the CPU, CPU-Z - to display CPU clocks and RAM ....etc., OCCT - just like Prime95. Another stress test tool. Go slowly each time, do not do a very large overclock and expect it to work. I usually stress test 12+ hours but usually people do 6+ hours.

m
l
June 5, 2009 2:40:58 AM

Does it recognize your motherboard? YOu have to click on the PLL control tab and slide the top "slider" that controls your CPU frequency and RAM freq. Do not touch the bottom slider. Then aplly clocks, use CPU-Z to check if your CPU clocks have changed. If they have then stress test for a couple of hours. If its stable go abit higher.
m
l
June 5, 2009 2:43:53 AM

i dont think it recognizes my mobo, i tried to select a model from the drop down list under clock generator setup and i dont think its there either
m
l
June 5, 2009 2:44:56 AM

with the pll control tab, shows nothing but dials, no numbers or anything just blank meters
m
l
June 5, 2009 2:47:27 AM

also i ran that strees test (prime95) without changing anything, ran it for about 5 min and the temp got to 60, i shut it down fearing something might happen
m
l
June 5, 2009 2:55:03 AM

I guess it doesn't recognize your motherboard, so ClockGen isn't really an option. It automatically recognized mine, so I guess I'm lucky.
m
l
June 5, 2009 2:56:04 AM

Where did you see this "3GHz Overclock"?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 5, 2009 4:35:07 PM

furious_cruzer said:
hi, i bought a dell e520 desktop, it had a celeron d 3.06 in it, swapped it for a c2d e4300, was wondering if overclocking is possable with the dell board, its running at 1.8ghz and ive seen people overclock this cpu to 3ghz but no info on the dell board, any help would be great

Well not sure if your board supports it but the Vostro 200 I have allows for Pad mods I have a e4500 running 3.2 ghz very easy to do you connect some pads on the bottom of the proc and it changes FSB and Vtt. makes and avg PC into a very decent PC with 4 gigs of crap dell ram and a raid 0 on two drives it keeps up with most things out there. Search google for pad mods and you will get allot of info.
m
l
June 5, 2009 10:35:30 PM

:lol:  I would be too, nice overclock BTW what program did you use?
m
l
June 5, 2009 11:55:50 PM

i didnt over clock it, it was a responce to

"Where did you see this "3GHz Overclock"?"

includes link
m
l
!