Problem with ICH9R RAID 5 storage array

chadrandom

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Hello everyone,

Firstly, I'm a noob to posting, so I hope I've put this thread in the right place. Apologies up front if I have left anything out.

I recently switched from Vista to XP and now my RAID 5 storage array is not recognized by Windows. Details below, full system info at bottom...

I have a 2 disk RAID 1 boot array and a 4 disk RAID 5 storage array, controlled by my motherboard's Intel ICH9R controller.

I deleted the boot disk (2 Raptors in RAID 0) which contained Windows Vista Ultimate (32 bit).

Then I created a new boot disk (2 Raptors in a RAID 1).

Then I installed Windows XP Pro (32 bit) and updated to Service Pack 3. NOTE: I do not have a a floppy drive, nor any IDE hard disks. Installation was accomplished through use of nLite slipstreaming Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers into the installation.

THE PROBLEM: Windows XP Pro SP3 will not recognize the RAID 5 storage array after changing the operating system on the boot array. Neither Windows Explorer, nor Disk Manager recognizes the RAID 5 array. I have no access to the data through Windows.

Intel Matrix Storage Manager recognizes the RAID 5 array in the following manner...
- System: Volume: No (I don't know exactly what this means, but I'm wondering if it is a key element to my problem?)
- Volume Write-Back Cache Enabled: No
- RAID Level: RAID 5 (striping with parity)
- Strip Size: 64 KB
- Size: 2095.9 GB
- Physical Sector Size: 512 Bytes
- Logical Sector Size: 512 Bytes
- Number of Hard Drives: 4
- Hard Drive Member 1: SAMSUNG HD753LJ
- Hard Drive Member 2: SAMSUNG HD753LJ
- Hard Drive Member 3: SAMSUNG HD753LJ
- Hard Drive Member 4: SAMSUNG HD753LJ
- Parent Array: Array_0000

I have right clicked and run the "Verify and Repair Volume Data" option for this array, but this makes no change to Windows' behavior.

The BIOS recognizes both the RAID 1 boot array, and the RAID 5 storage array as "Normal", and posts without problem or delay.

I currently have Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.5 installed, downloaded from Intel's support site. I have also tried installing the Intel Matrix Storage Manager 7.5 available on ASUS's site. There is no difference in Windows behavior or IMSM's recognition of the arrays.

I have installed all drivers provided by ASUS for the motherboard, but I'm hoping I have simply overlooked something simple. This problem appears to be related to ICH9R, so I'm hoping Intel can help but I have not heard back from them yet.

The RAID 1 boot array appears to be functioning perfectly. Only the RAID 5 storage array is having problems.

Many thanks! I do appreciate any thoughts or suggestions anyone may have.

Chad

SYSTEM INFO:
- Currently XP Pro 32, (originally Vista Ultimate 32)
- Lian-Li A17
- SilverStone (SST-ST85F) 850w
- ASUS P5K Deluxe Wifi-AP
- Intel Q9300 Yorkfield
- ASUS EN9600GT TOP
- 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2
- 2 x 36GB Western Digital Raptor WD360ADFD
- 4 x Samsung Spinpoint 750GB HD753LJ SATAII 7200rpm 32MB
- 2 x Samsung SH-S202 IDE DVD-RW
- ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Combo PCI Express

chadrandom

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Thanks for the response. Being new to forums, I'm finding it can get a bit discouraging when you see how many views you get and at the same time how few responses. I really appreciate your help.

I've posted links to the screenshots below. I had to save them low res and cropped to keep the file size down, but all the info should be there. Let me know if any others would help. Thanks again!

Disk Manager

Intel Matrix Storage Manager

Device Manager

uliv

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Are you aware of that XP does not have a driver for SATA drives, this must be provided on floppy during installation

chadrandom

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Hi uliv,

As I described in the original post, I do not have a floppy drive, nor any IDE hard disks. Installation of XP Pro was accomplished through use of nLite a program designed for slipstreaming drivers into the installation.

I used nlite to create a new install disk and included the Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.5 driver. Afterword, Windows recognized the Boot Disk (2 Raptors in RAID 1), but not the Storage Volume (4 Spinpoints in RAID 5).

I still have found no solution for this problem. I have received a reply from Intel saying that it may be a Windows problem, but that they will send the case to engineering for review. I hope to hear back soon, but will contact Microsoft also in the meantime.

Thanks for your suggestion uliv. I hope I can figure this out.

doittoit

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
32 bit XP cannot recognize >2TB volumes ( which yours is ). I have 4 x Samsung Spinpoint F1 750s on raid 5 on an Intel DG33TL on XP Pro. Same exact issue. I made 2 volumes of a little over 1TB each. I was not happy about it either, but you have to upgrade to 64bit XP or Vista to do what you're trying to do.