Xigmatek s1283 with retention bracket on q6600

bigsur

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
putting the xigmatek on a q6600 hey just curious about the design of this cooler and the fan that comes with it. i have the rentention brackets, but if I am seeing this right, you must install the cooler onto the cpu/board first, THEN PUT THE FAN on.

which i think is ridiculous that you have to try to jam the fan on after the cooler is seated and in place, otherwise you can reach the screws for the retention bracket . /vent

any suggestions, might just try to use a small allen wrench or somethign???

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Here's a link: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermalright-xigmatek_6.html#sect0

Also have you checked the base for flatness with a metal ruler. Hold the cooler and ruler up to the light and see if there is any light between the heat pipes and ruler. No point in conduction being your heat disapation method if the surface contact area isn't maximised.

If your using the crossbow bracket you have to pull the board out.

bigsur

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
ok another question, do i use that little spoiler thing that came with it??

havent seen it on anyones rigs??

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
The spoiler is used to direct air onto RAM or some other element. It's needs to be placed opposite the fan to work and direct air down. Yes use arctic silver if you have. Did you check to see how flat the base was?

bigsur

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
thanks so much vertigon!!! you are awesome for replying

thankfully the base was flat according to my metal architect's ruler.

im putting this in antec 900, so will face the xigmatek's fan towareds the top of teh case to blow air out? right

the_mystery_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008

Right. Attach the pins to the fan, then slip the pins onto the heatsink vanes and into that little groove that runs down the sides. Orient the heatsink so the fan is on the bottom, blowing upward through the heatsink and into the top fan. The top fan will pick the hot air up there and carry it outside. If you're board has any secondary chipset heatsinks up there, you can use the spoiler to aim some air at them. Pay attention to how high on the CPU heatsink you mount it so it redirects air at the correct angle.(it slips in between two of the vanes and just rests there) Otherwise, don't bother with it.

bigsur

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
if i put the fan on the bottom side of the xigmatek, it comes to within millimeters of the northbridge heatsink. this is on a gigabyte p35 ds3l board.

what should i do, i dont want this big plastic fan so close to the northbridge heatsink??

thanks to all

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
The best way to mount a cooler is to have another fan pulling air in the same direction, be it toward the back of the case or top. What you need to do is make sure this fan has at least the same draw through power as the one on the cooler, in fact a strong fan is ideal, that way you can create "induction", that is the air between the cooler and the second fan is at low pressure, thereby drawing air through the cooler, faster. Also you need to try and get some idea of air flow around a case. No point in letting air currents collide, you need to get as much air flowing through the case as possible, without making it noisy, just requires some thinking. Even neatly tieing cables together is a good idea if your fussy like me.

What you need to know bigsur, is that the mating face between the cooler and cpu is critical, that should be your first priority.

"thanks so much vertigon!!! you are awesome for replying"

No problems, I wish other people were as appreciative as you.