Sign in with
Your question

My personal folder missing from "My Computer"

Last response: in Windows XP
October 25, 2010 10:42:53 PM

Hello:

I know that a lot of others have had this issue and I have check and read the solution...unfortunately my
issue is a little different.

I opened the "Run" box and typed regedit and followed all the steps. Unfortunately, when I get to the
"DocFolderPaths" it's saying "value not set". I see three colums(I don't see any folders listed)

Name: ab(Default)
Type: REG_SZ
Data: (value not set)

When I click on the "default" thingy and the "Edit String" box opens the "Value
Name" box is grayed out or beiged out and I CAN'T type anything onto/into that box. The 'Value
Name' is doable but what would be the point if I can't type the other information???

I really would appreciate some help.

Thanks,

October 26, 2010 3:28:50 AM

Quote:
When I click on the "default" thingy and the "Edit String" box opens the "Value
Name" box is grayed out or beiged out and I CAN'T type anything onto/into that box. The 'Value
Name' is doable but what would be the point if I can't type the other information???

"Thingy" and Regedit are a dangerous mix!

Go back into regedit, and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DocFolderPaths

right-click on the key, select New, String Value.

Make the name of the new string value the absolute SAME as your user account name.

Right-click the new key and select "Modify" ( NOT Modify binary data)

Type in this: C׃\Documents and Settings\
YOUR USER ACCOUNT NAME\My Documents

The part in red is supplied by you (of course, but I had to say it).

Click ok.

Close regedit.

See if it works now.
m
l
January 1, 2011 7:29:19 PM

Hello Tigsounds:

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

I am sometimes very impatient and when this issue came about I wanted answers tout de suite. Yes, I know that is unrealistic as I'm not the only person that has/had computer issues when I wrote this post. That being said I I found the answer to my problem by doing more research on the net and found the solution which I used and got my personal folder back where it belongs.

Thank you for your assistance I will be sure to keep a copy of your answer just in case I have the same issue in the future. :) 
m
l
!