Nehalem is officialy Core i7

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
It's most probably for Core IT, the 7 doing a t... I might be wrong, but it's the only thing I could think of.

Anyway, I don't care about the name... just about the performances numbers :D

sillyman

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
iS anyone else as tired of the little i names as iAm? Just think, in a couple months (possibly) you will be able to buy an iMac with an i7 processor to run iTunes, iLife and the countless other little i named products apple has. iGuess I just want to say iAm a little disappointed that Intel is adopting apples terrible naming scheme.

G

iSay that iThink that iBelieve that i7 is in my iOpinion is pretty stupid... i7... really whats that stand for... if it means its more powerful than core 2 by 7... then iWill take it... but thats not the case so iAM not sure about this

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
I'd like to see a vacuum cleaner from Apple called iSuck

On another note, at least they can't do iTV as that names taken :)

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

Seconded. This smells like a big ol pile of poopy to me.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished

I Couldn't agree more on the anoying "I" everything crap. I read there was a possible partnership with Volkswagen, to make an I- Car, I sh-t you not.

If that happens I will crash into it with my I- Truck

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
i7....

My god, who got paid millions for that name...

For £500 quid i would name it T2 after the terminator....

But then again what do I know.....

I was really getting used to the Nehalem name...

We should all know by now that codenames rarely (if ever) end up being the final name of the product. The name makes sense... sure it's not catchy or flashy... but it does a good job of describing the product: Intel's 7th generation Pentium processor. Would you have preferred Pentium 7?

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

Nope, but even core 7 would have been better.

jjokubauskas

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
i think i figures it out! the "i" is for intel like on a 790i mobo, and the 7 makes it the seventh generation x86 cpu. correct me if im wrong but i think it goes like this
1. i386
2. i486
3. pentium/pentium pro
4. pentium 2/3
5. pentium 4
6. core 2
7. CORE i7 woot woot lol

Meh... can't please everyone, that's for sure. I don't care one way or the other what they call it... as long as it's a good chip, they can call it Itonium 6.5 for all I care.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Should have called it...

Giant Hurt Ball

or

The Sphere of Fear

:oops:. o O (wrong shape)

or umm..

X4 de iFenom w/HT

:pt1cable: <-- drops the sphere and runs for his life... and screams who cares what they call it!! I was j/k!!

The only problem is that the P7 is Itanium's micro-architecture code-name and that Nehalem is a 10th-generation processor. The 7th-generation processors made by Intel were the 32-bit Pentium 4s, EM64T P4s and Pentium Ds were eighth-gen, and the Core 2 line is ninth-generation.

What was wrong with Core 3 as a name?

Notice I said Intel's 7th generation Pentium processor... not their 7th generation processor period. I am fully aware that Nehalem is really their 10th generation processor.

Nothing necessarily wrong with Core 3... but then I'm not the one making the decisions at Intel. I only said the name made sense, not that it was good.