Is this video card compatible with my pc?

peterspliid

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
I have found a pretty good video card, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with my computer.
The video card is XFX GF9800GTX

You can see some system specs here:
41536151qa7.jpg

Sorry about it's German. If you have any questions, please ask :)

Well it has a PCIE slot so i guess it will fit. What are you doing ? Just upgrading ? If so from what. Or are you building anew rig your self ?
Just curious as its quite a high end card and I'm wondering if the PSU will be ok and what size screen you have.

Mactronix

Sorry i nearly overlooked the size of the card you will need to look up how long it is and measure inside your case to see if you have room for it.
Dimensions: 4.376 x 10.5 inches (dual slot)
Mactronix :)

peterspliid

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
I'm upgrading from gefore 7300GS

I dont know if it fits, but doesn't it just take 2 normal spots? Do I have to open the case and take a picture?

Its not the width thats the issue with these as i said its a long card and that will be the dimention that will give you trouble. If i looked it up correctly you only have one PCIE slot anyway. the card may cover on eof your pci slots though.

Mactronix

blyn

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008

haha monitor? Why do i feel like this is a typo...

@peterspliid: just pop open your computer quickly and tell us what the wattage/manufacturer of your power supply is. While you're there, get a ruler and measure the length you have avaiable over the PCI slot because you'll probably want to avoid cutting up your case if you can.

If you are short on room - an alternative is to look into a 4850 which should be comparable performance to the 9800GTX and is only 9.5" if i'm not mistaken.

peterspliid

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
I just opened, and I don't think the length is a problem. Look at this:

My power supply says: "(+3.3V & +5V = 152W Max), Total output continuous shall not exceed 400watts"

albinohaze

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008

Ooooo, I would get at least a 500w PSU if I were you. One that has over 30 amps per 12 volt rail.