COMPARE PALM TO THE POCKET P/C OS

October 9, 2004 8:06:16 PM

I have ONLY owned the Palm o/s .. right now I have the Tapwave Zodiac
because I love the gaming on it and other than that I use my palm for
addresses and calendar and that's it.

So I bought the Treo 600 and have sort of regretted it because being I
already have one Palm os I considered getting the phone with the Pocket PC
for "a change." Didn't get rid of the Tapwave .. not going to ..

I was wondering if anyone has seen or used the Ipaq .. I am thinking of
buying the
new 6000 series just because .. but FIRST wanted to know if anyone has any
complaints regarding that machine or the operating system. I had always
heard that the display is nicer with the Palm os compared to the Pocket PC
but I am not real thrilled with the display on the Treo.

TIA ..
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
JeWITCH AT
QOAM DOT COM
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸
·.·

More about : compare palm pocket

Anonymous
October 10, 2004 3:21:37 AM

"JeWITCH" <jewitch-remove@qoam.com> wrote in message
>I have ONLY owned the Palm o/s .. right now I have the Tapwave Zodiac
> because I love the gaming on it and other than that I use my palm for
> addresses and calendar and that's it.
>
> So I bought the Treo 600 and have sort of regretted it because being I
> already have one Palm os I considered getting the phone with the Pocket PC
> for "a change." Didn't get rid of the Tapwave .. not going to ..
>
> I was wondering if anyone has seen or used the Ipaq .. I am thinking of
> buying the
> new 6000 series just because .. but FIRST wanted to know if anyone has any
> complaints regarding that machine or the operating system. I had always
> heard that the display is nicer with the Palm os compared to the Pocket PC
> but I am not real thrilled with the display on the Treo.
>
> TIA ..
> ·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
> ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
> JeWITCH AT
> QOAM DOT COM
> ((¸¸.·´ ..·´
> -:¦:- ((¸¸
> ·.·

Well, you've opened up a can of worms :)

In short I don't think you're going to get just one answer. Some people love
PPC and some hate it. Some have no problems and some have nightmares. Some
Palms, but not all of them, have higher resolution screens than PPC devices.
That will probably change in the coming year.

I have been a Palm user for some years now. I really wanted to move to PPC
but when I did an in-store comparison I felt that the PPC didn't offer
enough advanced capabilities to warrant moving over. I like the concept that
my handheld and my desktop should be completely compatible but such is not
the case with PPC (or Palm for that matter). For me Palm does a better job
of being compatible where it matters.

If I could summarize my feelings about PPC it's that some
features/applications are a bit more complex to configure or use because
it's trying to be a mini-PC. Palm on the otherhand is less complex to
operate and configure (for some features/applications) but may not be as
capable in some areas. Multi-tasking is one area as is multi-media playback.

I guess my question for you is why would you want yet a third device? You
already have 2 units that can handle calendar and contact info as well as
other tasks (gaming, ebooks etc..). Just what would you want a PPC to do for
you?

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 3:50:34 AM

It isn't a 3rd unit that I want. I want to sell my Treo 600 and get the new
iPaq 6000 series phone in it's place.
Reason ?? I don't know .. I am a gadget nut I guess. I use the Zodiac for
playing .. and calendar and contacts.
Time came to get a new cellphone and I bought the Treo 600 after touching
and feeling ALL of them. I was going
to get the Pocket PC that Tmobile sells, but I didn't want TMobile on the
phone .. Let them pay me for advertising,
otherwise, I don't want to pay $400-$500 and advertise for them, know what I
mean ??

So I got the Treo 600 and was planning to use that for calendar and
contacts, let the tapwave do gaming and that's it.
But I can't stand to not have an area to write on .. Don't like the little
keyboard .. I can write on a palm almost faster
than I can type. SOOO .. Then I saw the new Ipaq .. but I know nothing
about Pocket PC ..

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
JeWITCH AT
QOAM DOT COM
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸
·.·

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "JeWITCH" <jewitch-remove@qoam.com> wrote in message
> >I have ONLY owned the Palm o/s .. right now I have the Tapwave Zodiac
> > because I love the gaming on it and other than that I use my palm for
> > addresses and calendar and that's it.
> >
> > So I bought the Treo 600 and have sort of regretted it because being I
> > already have one Palm os I considered getting the phone with the Pocket
PC
> > for "a change." Didn't get rid of the Tapwave .. not going to ..
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone has seen or used the Ipaq .. I am thinking of
> > buying the
> > new 6000 series just because .. but FIRST wanted to know if anyone has
any
> > complaints regarding that machine or the operating system. I had always
> > heard that the display is nicer with the Palm os compared to the Pocket
PC
> > but I am not real thrilled with the display on the Treo.
> >
> > TIA ..
> > --
> > --
> > ·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
> > ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
> > JeWITCH AT
> > QOAM DOT COM
> > ((¸¸.·´ ..·´
> > -:¦:- ((¸¸
> > ·.·
> >
> Well, you've opened up a can of worms :)
>
> In short I don't think you're going to get just one answer. Some people
love
> PPC and some hate it. Some have no problems and some have nightmares. Some
> Palms, but not all of them, have higher resolution screens than PPC
devices.
> That will probably change in the coming year.
>
> I have been a Palm user for some years now. I really wanted to move to PPC
> but when I did an in-store comparison I felt that the PPC didn't offer
> enough advanced capabilities to warrant moving over. I like the concept
that
> my handheld and my desktop should be completely compatible but such is not
> the case with PPC (or Palm for that matter). For me Palm does a better job
> of being compatible where it matters.
>
> If I could summarize my feelings about PPC it's that some
> features/applications are a bit more complex to configure or use because
> it's trying to be a mini-PC. Palm on the otherhand is less complex to
> operate and configure (for some features/applications) but may not be as
> capable in some areas. Multi-tasking is one area as is multi-media
playback.

> I guess my question for you is why would you want yet a third device? You
> already have 2 units that can handle calendar and contact info as well as
> other tasks (gaming, ebooks etc..). Just what would you want a PPC to do
for
> you?
>
> Cheers
> TC

October 13, 2004 12:03:31 PM

"JeWITCH" <jewitch-remove@qoam.com> wrote in message news:<4168af8b$1_2@127.0.0.1>...
> So I got the Treo 600 and was planning to use that for calendar and
> contacts, let the tapwave do gaming and that's it.
> But I can't stand to not have an area to write on .. Don't like the little
> keyboard .. I can write on a palm almost faster
> than I can type. SOOO .. Then I saw the new Ipaq .. but I know nothing
> about Pocket PC ..

The PalmOS is a rock solid OS compared to the pocketpc. If you get a
pocketPC expect you'll need to reset it daily, quite possibly more
than once (2 or 3 is probably average), and expect that you will miss
alarms, and it will freeze regularly for hours. Also expect that quite
often you can *not* rely on it for time, as it gets behind time
significantly, i mean seriously, it can get hours behind time on
regular basis. On the pocketpc groups they habitually blame this on
third party apps, but I only have have third party apps that are
either nominated or won the pocketpc magazine awards, and the minimum
number of them at that, so they must be well-written and widely used
apps; the gist of this is simple, i have over the years installed
hundreds of palm applications on my pocketpc, if it's on palmgear and
it's even remotely useful i've tried it, but none of them ever caused
my palm to lose time, lose data, freeze unpredictably.

Other than that, there's a good choice of hardware on the pocketpc
side, good multimdeida compatibility with the pc, some choice
applications like calligrapher, textmaker, pocketartist.

So, if you just want a toy, then by all means, get it. If you want
something to depend on, then stay with palm.
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 10:23:00 AM

On 13 Oct 2004 08:03:31 -0700, mnhenley@msn.com (Mike Henley) wrote:

>"JeWITCH" <jewitch-remove@qoam.com> wrote in message news:<4168af8b$1_2@127.0.0.1>...
>> So I got the Treo 600 and was planning to use that for calendar and
>> contacts, let the tapwave do gaming and that's it.
>> But I can't stand to not have an area to write on .. Don't like the little
>> keyboard .. I can write on a palm almost faster
>> than I can type. SOOO .. Then I saw the new Ipaq .. but I know nothing
>> about Pocket PC ..
>>

>The PalmOS is a rock solid OS compared to the pocketpc. If you get a
>pocketPC expect you'll need to reset it daily, quite possibly more
>than once (2 or 3 is probably average), and expect that you will miss
>alarms, and it will freeze regularly for hours. Also expect that quite
>often you can *not* rely on it for time, as it gets behind time
>significantly, i mean seriously, it can get hours behind time on
>regular basis. On the pocketpc groups they habitually blame this on
>third party apps, but I only have have third party apps that are
>either nominated or won the pocketpc magazine awards, and the minimum
>number of them at that, so they must be well-written and widely used
>apps; the gist of this is simple, i have over the years installed
>hundreds of palm applications on my pocketpc, if it's on palmgear and
>it's even remotely useful i've tried it, but none of them ever caused
>my palm to lose time, lose data, freeze unpredictably.
>
>Other than that, there's a good choice of hardware on the pocketpc
>side, good multimdeida compatibility with the pc, some choice
>applications like calligrapher, textmaker, pocketartist.
>
>So, if you just want a toy, then by all means, get it. If you want
>something to depend on, then stay with palm.

Yes, but, if you want Wifi and Bluetooth there is no choice now.

I find it difficult to believe that faults would be this widespread on
PPC.

Palm is not what they once were. Sadly, I will be moving across.
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 10:23:01 AM

On Thursday, A User wrote:

> I find it difficult to believe that faults would be this
> widespread on PPC.

I've been using an iPAQ (1940) for almost a year now and though I
admit that it probably needs a soft reset once each day, I have
never yet experienced data loss or time loss. I have just bought
(and am re-selling) a Treo 600 as I loved the idea of a combined
phone and PDA but going back to PalmOS just reinforced in my own
mind that it's very much an organiser - Palm seem to be doing
very little in the way of development as the basic software is
the same as the Palm Pro I had back in 1998. Third party software
is abundant but generally of lower quality (in my opinion) to the
PocketPC software available.

Just my opinion, having very recently re-assessed the Palm -v-
PocketPC situation.

--
Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com&gt;
Anonymous

A User <serge-newnew2715@mailblocks.com > wrote in message news:<th3rm0h5u99hbra0eupehdeku6630lhtfe@4ax.com>...

> Yes, but, if you want Wifi and Bluetooth there is no choice now.
>
> I find it difficult to believe that faults would be this widespread on
> PPC.

Visit the newsgroups, pocketpc and palm, and compare messages. See how
"widespread" the faults are on the pocketpc groups. On some days half
the messages are about faults with the operating system. Compared to
the pocketpc groups, there are rarely any palmOS (operating system)
faults on the palm group.

> Palm is not what they once were. Sadly, I will be moving across.
October 15, 2004 11:21:33 AM

I could not agree more. My Palm has been rock solid for almost 5 years
know.

John

> So, if you just want a toy, then by all means, get it. If you want
> something to depend on, then stay with palm.
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 7:13:08 PM

agreed, in my years of corporate experience, all the people I know
with the PPC rarely use them as an actual PDA, eg taking notes
in meetings or checking for phone#'s calendar etc.

Whereas those who actually do PDA stuff on their PDA's are
using Palms 99% of the time.

I have yet to see someone whip out a PPC in a meeting to look something up,
though people are always whipping out Palms. It must happen, I suppose,
I just haven't seen PPC's actually being used in the real world, as opposed
to the toy world, where no doubt PPC's have their place for viewing
pron movies in the corporate restrooms.

!