Activation

Tags:
  • Dimension
  • Windows XP
August 21, 2005 9:07:02 AM

I recently updated my laptop from WinMe to Win XP home edition (a
legitimate, purchased upgrade disk), now I've decided to revive another old
Dell Dimension that will suit my needs better. I updated my Dimension with
the same Win XP disk, but when I try to activate it, I'm told that I've
exceeded my activation limit? Now I understand that the license agreement
is only good for one PC, but what if I want to transfer my license to
another computer, can I do that? If so, how?

Thanks all,
Ray

More about : activation

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 9:18:02 AM

Lunaray wrote:
> I recently updated my laptop from WinMe to Win XP home edition (a
> legitimate, purchased upgrade disk), now I've decided to revive
> another old Dell Dimension that will suit my needs better. I updated
> my Dimension with the same Win XP disk, but when I try to activate
> it, I'm told that I've exceeded my activation limit? Now I
> understand that the license agreement is only good for one PC, but
> what if I want to transfer my license to another computer, can I do
> that? If so, how?
>
> Thanks all,
> Ray

You can do this, as long as this version has been uninstalled from the original PC where you installed it. When you start the activation wizard, you will need to select the activate by telephone option and speak to a customer service representative.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 11:19:23 AM

Lunaray wrote:
> I recently updated my laptop from WinMe to Win XP home edition (a
> legitimate, purchased upgrade disk), now I've decided to revive
> another old Dell Dimension that will suit my needs better. I updated
> my Dimension with the same Win XP disk, but when I try to activate
> it, I'm told that I've exceeded my activation limit? Now I
> understand that the license agreement is only good for one PC, but
> what if I want to transfer my license to another computer, can I do
> that? If so, how?
> Thanks all,
> Ray

Yes, just call the phone activation number supplied, and tell them you are
moving your XP to a new computer.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."
August 21, 2005 11:20:12 AM

If the XP CD is a "retail" version, then you should be able to move it as
many times as you want. If the on-line activation fails, then an 800 number
should appear on the screen. Call it and explain what you are doing and the
Microsoft representative should give you an activation code.

However, if your XP CD is an "OEM" CD, then is good only one the original
hardware. That is one reason why OEM versions of XP are cheaper that retail
versions. If this is the case, you need to buy another XP license. This
time consider getting a retail license.

"Lunaray" <yar@nehalemtelNOT.net> wrote in message
>I recently updated my laptop from WinMe to Win XP home edition (a
>legitimate, purchased upgrade disk), now I've decided to revive another old
>Dell Dimension that will suit my needs better. I updated my Dimension with
>the same Win XP disk, but when I try to activate it, I'm told that I've
>exceeded my activation limit? Now I understand that the license agreement
>is only good for one PC, but what if I want to transfer my license to
>another computer, can I do that? If so, how?
>
> Thanks all,
> Ray

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 2:07:09 PM

Lunaray wrote:

> I recently updated my laptop from WinMe to Win XP home edition (a
> legitimate, purchased upgrade disk), now I've decided to revive
> another old Dell Dimension that will suit my needs better. I updated
> my Dimension with the same Win XP disk, but when I try to activate
> it, I'm told that I've exceeded my activation limit? Now I
> understand that the license agreement is only good for one PC, but
> what if I want to transfer my license to another computer, can I do
> that?

Yes. Since yours is a retail copy (all upgrade CDs are retail), no problem.
If were an OEM copy, you couldn't do it without violating the licensing
agreement.

> If so, how?

Just remove WIndows XP from the old computer, install it on the new one, and
activate it. If 120 days have passed, activation will proceed over the
internet just as it did the first time. If fewer than 120 days, you'll be
prompted to activate by phone. If you do it by phone, just explain what
you've done. It's quick and easy and takes only slightly longer than
internet activation.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

I had the same problem with my OEM disk and I contacted Microsoft who
asked me if I had uninstalled it from the original machine which I had
and they gave me a new and I had new details issued over the phone.

!