Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cant install XP, XP CD dont see my SATA drive. Need help!

Last response: in Windows XP
October 26, 2010 9:08:34 AM

Im stuck in the process & I need some help quick...

I got all my parts & assembled them together correctly (I think), and when I plug in power & run it the first time & put in the WinXP (64bit) in, the Mobo bios sees the SATA HD but when loading the WinXP64 CD trying to install (which it does loads me into the blue install screen), it saids it didnt see any hard drives & force me to quit Setup. I tried hooking up with different cables, but no luck. I asked a friend before he went to bed, he said something about I may need to hit F6 to install mothoerboard drivers, but when I got there, it said I dont have Floppy drive & cannot continue. (I thought we dont use floppy drives anymore?)

Anyways, Im stuck in the middle, my bios sees I have a SATA hard drive, but WinXp CD dont sees it. What should I do?

Below is the PC Im trying to assemble:
[Case]: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 BLUE RC-922M-KWN2-GP Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
[PSU]: XFX P1-650X-CAH9 650W ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
[Mobo]: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
[RAM]: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
[CPU]: Intel Core i7 Quad-core I7-870 2.93GHz Processor
[GPU]: eVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460
[HD]: Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD502HJ Hard Drive - 500GB - 7200rpm
[DVD]: TDK DVD burner
(...I can add another old CD-ROM drive to it if needed)

Tom's folks pls help me out.
Thx in advance.
October 26, 2010 9:47:24 AM

Get the drivers from here and install the SATA driver when the install CD boots (press F6 as soon as it starts booting).
m
l
October 26, 2010 10:02:33 AM

but then when I hit F6, it will still say I dont have Floppy drive so cannot install OEM drivers... that's the problem. Cuz I do have the motherboard driver CD which comes with the board. But its a DVD, and I have 2 ROM drives, (#1-TDK DVD burner & #2-old CD-rom) I was hoping if I use old CD-rom to read the WinXP & get to F6, then hoping it'll see my other TDK DVD drive so I can load drivers from that drive. But the blue screen only says cannot detect floppy drive in machine, hit F3 to quit setup. Its like it force me to only use floppy, but then #1 I dont have a floppy drive, & #2, the files size r way bigger to have floppy dise install.... it has to be either CD/DVD/FlashUSB. Would the USB flash work?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

October 26, 2010 10:52:55 AM

If you insist on using such an ancient OS with modern hardware you're bound to have a few problems. Have a look at this article and see if it helps.
October 26, 2010 11:03:16 AM

that's a good read. Thx for tips.

I actually didnt have WinVista/7, & I havent play with either of them yet, so I thought 64bit Xp would still do fine for me until I get my hands on a copy of Win7.
m
l
October 26, 2010 11:03:26 AM

Best answer selected by johnnieso.
m
l
!