DVI-D + VGA KVM Setup Question

Brett4u6

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
I want to add a bluray player to my PC which requires a DVI-D connection (for HDCP). My wife began telecommuting and using her laptop with our home monitor. The laptop only has a VGA out connection.

Right now I have a simple KVM switch which uses VGA connections to everything. A quick double click on the scroll lock key switches the video source.

Is there a KVM switch which will receive both a VGA and DVI-D input and output in DVI-D or DVI-I?

I prefer a KVM switch to changing the source on the monitor itself. Not very elegant.

Brett4u6

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
Thanks for the response rgsaunders. I just discovered a new wrinkle to my problem.

My monitor (Samsung 2253BW) states it takes a DVI-D signal. The switch you recommend will work if it converts the analog signal from the laptop and converts it to digital. But I suspect it outputs either DVI-A or DVI-D (as it a DVI-I port) depending on the signal it receives.

Know of any switches that will toggle between a DVI-D or VGA output? Then I could plug both the DVI-D and VGA cords into the monitor.

Brett4u6

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2004
dallasjoh,

I think your VGA to DVI-D converter solves my "new wrinkle." Thanks :)

It would be nice to find a KVM switch with this conversion capability built in.