New system weirdness - problems at boot & restart

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Hi All,

I just put together a new computer for my wife, and it's having some troubles. The key components are listed here:

M/B: Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H (rev. 1.0) AMD780G + SB700 chipset (integrated HD3100 video)
VID: I am using only the on-board video - no separate video card.
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ BE @ 2.6GHz (to start)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800MHz 2 x 1GB (running @ 2.2V as specified)
PSU: Antec NeoPower 500W
HDD: WD 640GB SATA2

I assembled the system and attempted to power it up. It didn't start right away, but after a couple presses of the power button, it started up normally. I configured the BIOS, saved the settings and exited (F10), and the system shut off. I started it up again, and ran Memtest86 successfully overnight - over 8 hours without a problem. CPU temperature is 30C idle; heat spreader is barely warm to the touch.

Next, I formatted the HDD and installed Windows XP. Since this takes some time, I leave the room and come back to check on the system - it had turned off. I started the system again, and it continued the Windows install normally. This time, I sat there watching the installation - surely enough, when it came to a point when it wanted to restart the system, it just turned off. I started the system yet again, and successfully completed the Windows installation. Next, I installed the chipset drivers that came with the motherboard. More turn-offs and manual restarts.

Everything seems to work OK when the system is running, but when the system tried restarting during the installations, it would just turn off, or occasionally enter some strange sleep (?) mode with the CPU fan spinning at slow speed, no video output, and the hard disk is making quiet seek-type sounds every few seconds. Clicking the mouse, pressing keys on the keyboard, or even pressing the reset button doesn't bring the system out of this strange mode; the only way is holding the power button for 4 seconds to force the system off, and then press the power button to turn the system back on.

When trying to restart the system by clicking the RESTART button in the shut-down menu, the system again just goes into the strange sleep mode or just turns off.

Occasionally, the system won't even start properly, and gets stuck in the strange sleep mode described above. If the system DOES start properly, everything seems to work OK.

I checked the Device Manager, and there are no yellow questionmarks by any of the items in the list - everything seems OK here. I have run Prime95 for over seven hours, and the system is stable. Loaded CPU temperature is under 40C.

The motherboard came with BIOS version F2, and I successfully used Gigabyte's Q-Flash utility to update the BIOS to F3. This didn't fix the "soft-restart" problem.

Please give me suggestions as to what might be causing this - is it a flaky motherboard? The start-up problem began before I installed the OS or anything. Let me know what I should do next - I can't think of anything else to try.

Thank you for your help!

Altazi

Xenres

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
I'm also having this same problem and use the same motherboard and CPU. I also updated to the F3 BIOS and went through and made sure every that could be updated is updated. Others specs for my comp are:

M/B: Same as above.
CPU: Same as above.
Vid: Same as above.
RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (Running @ 2.1v)
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX (650W)
HDD: 2x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD4000AAKS (400GB)

I also noticed this problem before I installed the OS or anything else. Been searching around and haven't found any solutions yet though.

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Hi Xenres,

I have put in for technical support at Gigabyte. I'll post here when I receive a response.

Anyone else out there have any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
UPDATE: A new version of BIOS is available (F4). I re-flashed, but this didn't affect the boot / restart problem. Still waiting for Gigbyte support to respond to my question. Getting a bit anxious here. . .

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Update: I just received a response from Gigabyte. They suggested that I try running the motherboard with only one RAM module - it did seem to start-up and re-start more consistently this way. They also said to try running with lower-spec RAM (no details given), which I do not have. I pointed out that my RAM is on their QVL for this motherboard, and asked what the nature of the problem is.

I still welcome any suggestions and comments, especially from other owners of the GA-MA78G-DS3H motherboard.

piranhaa

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
okay...

So I just bought this board thinking it was gonna be flawless since GIGABYTE'S site even specifies this Crucial Ballistix ram as compatible... Wow was I wrong. It was a tossup between this crucial ram and similar Patriot ram (chose Crucial because it was listed on their site).

I was having the same issue... Intermittent power-ons, would not post if restarted from bios or from any OS... HIGHLY ANNOYING. I've messed around with timings, updated bios, unplugged all case plugins, moved the memory around, tried single dimms... Then I tried popping in 1-2GB DDR2 800mhz Buffalo memory, which works flawless.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on, or heard back from Gigabyte?

Thanks