Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking 2 Different Types of RAM

Last response: in Overclocking
June 6, 2009 5:58:25 AM

Im planning on holding onto my system for another year and would like to overclock it. I used to do it in the past, but now I have two different types of RAM running.

2x512MB PC3200 Crucial Ballistix 2-2-2-6 T1 Timings
2x512MB PC4000 Crucial Tracer Ballistix 2-3-3-8 @200mhz and 2.5-4-4-10 at 250mhz. Both run at 2.8V

How would I go about overclocking these types of RAM since they have different timings? Under the options in the motherboard, it only allows me to set a global setting for all of the RAM. I am using a DFI Lanparty SLI-DR. Any help would be great. Thank you!

More about : overclocking types ram

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 6, 2009 6:32:34 AM

t33lo said:
Im planning on holding onto my system for another year and would like to overclock it. I used to do it in the past, but now I have two different types of RAM running.

2x512MB PC3200 Crucial Ballistix 2-2-2-6 T1 Timings
2x512MB PC4000 Crucial Tracer Ballistix 2-3-3-8 @200mhz and 2.5-4-4-10 at 250mhz. Both run at 2.8V

How would I go about overclocking these types of RAM since they have different timings? Under the options in the motherboard, it only allows me to set a global setting for all of the RAM. I am using a DFI Lanparty SLI-DR. Any help would be great. Thank you!

Those are probably the same modules with different labels. What's your overclocking goal?

You can ALWAYS use slower timings (3 instead of 2, 8 instead of 6) to make your RAM more stable. As for how far the memory will overclock, I'd try setting everything to the PC-4000 settings if more speed is what you really want.

It's not like your programs will run faster.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 6, 2009 12:28:34 PM

Yeah, you just treat them as the if they were the same (which they probably are anyway). And like Crashman says, the only thing that will improve is benchmarks very slightly, you'll never notice any difference using the machine.
Related resources
June 6, 2009 3:57:42 PM

jitpublisher said:
Yeah, you just treat them as the if they were the same (which they probably are anyway). And like Crashman says, the only thing that will improve is benchmarks very slightly, you'll never notice any difference using the machine.

I just want to get as much as I can out of my system before its replaced. I mostly game and themebuild (cpu and memory intensive). Any good guides to Ocing here on the forums or TH? Thanks!
June 7, 2009 1:57:31 PM

can I ask a related question?
I have 2 sticks of 2GB G. Skill CL4-4-4-12!@1.9V and one 2GB G. Skill CL4-4-4-12@2.1V.
I have only one of the second because one of them died (actually it didn't the MB did but that's a long story). now I want to ask- will Ocing then (for better timing) will net me any improvement?
!