Sign in with
Your question

External Hard Drive Dropping

Last response: in Storage
October 19, 2009 4:16:01 PM

I have a 1.5TB Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme drive that within the past week or so keeps dropping from Windows. By this I mean randomly the drive just disappears from the system, no trace of it no nothing. On occasion when I reboot the machine, the drive disappears too as if it isn't even plugged in.

I have the drive hooked up with an eSATA connection via a eSATA bracket that hookes directly into my motherboard. So far the only way I seem to get my drive back is to unplug the power.... wait... plug back in and there it is again. I have never had this problem before. I noticed earlier about 3 weeks ago that apparently one of my dogs was chewing on the power cord for the drive. The rubber covering is gone but the copper wire is still intact so I used some electrical tape to cover up the spot.

I am almost hard pressed to pop the drive from the enclourse and put it straight into my system. I have all my Norton Ghost files and backups of everything on it and do not want the constant on and off with the power to corrupt my drive.

I have also heard some SATA drives are hot swappable but still, don't want to risk it.
a b G Storage
October 19, 2009 7:18:07 PM

"I noticed earlier about 3 weeks ago that apparently one of my dogs was chewing on the power cord for the drive. The rubber covering is gone but the copper wire is still intact so I used some electrical tape to cover up the spot."
Now there is a good clue as to why the drive is misbehaving if ever I saw one.
While it may appear to be intact anumber of strands could be fractured and not getting the full amount of current required intermitently.
Replace the cable and keep the dog away from it.
m
l
October 21, 2009 6:12:55 AM

Yeah I solved my issue, I just took the drive out of the enclosure and turned it into an internal drive. Seems to be doing okay now.
m
l
!