Sign in with
Your question

Fan whine, what ...the heck ..is my problem?

Last response: in Components
August 10, 2008 12:19:51 AM

I can buy a $25 name-brand fan. I can buy a $3 generic fan. The fan can be brand new. The fan can be a decade old. It can be a case fan, a cpu fan, a gpu fan, a psu fan, or any other possible fan in existence. I clean out of my fans and case probably more often and more detailed than you clean your own body. I install all sorts of paper rubber or silicon spacers buffers or anti-vibration plates. I've tried every possible power combination in several different machines. I've googled and read every single article and forum post mentioning fan whining. I've spent more money on fans than I've spent on any and all other components combined.

Why do I hear this high-pitched, axe murder a preschool style, whining noise ..and what in the hell exactly is the solution here that I'm missing?

Why in the hell is this noise semi-directional? I can change the pitch tilt and rotation of my head just the slightest bit and hear nothing ..but a 1/10th of a degree in any other direction and this ear piercing noise is drilling my skull.

I just got back from Fry's with a $18 Antec fan and a $5 Link Depot fan. Right out of the package, installed, boot up ..WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE.

What in the holy name of Christ is going on?

How do I deal with this issue in a way that doesn't involve my baseball bat? I don't want to hear any high pitched whine what-so-ever.

More about : fan whine heck problem

August 10, 2008 12:31:56 AM

Build a fanless PC.
August 10, 2008 12:39:32 AM

Maybe you just have better hearing than most?
Afaik you get sleeve and 2-ball bearing fans, have you tried them both, or even just on a different pc? You could try and lessen the amount of fans you have
Related resources
August 10, 2008 12:54:09 AM

Are you sure it is a fan?

Unplug all case fans and boot with case open. when you hear the whine touch the center of the CPU fan with your finger and stop it, then touch the northbridge and graphics card fans in turn to stop them. Also check the PSU fan and if it is spinning, then take a non metallic (read non-conductive) "tool" and temporarily stop it as well. The plastic clip from a ball point pen cap should work. You can touch the blades directly with that. If the noise is still there, then it isn't your fans, because each in turn has been stopped.

You could be getting noise from the mobo or VGA or PSU, circuitry, or even from the HD.

Note: Be careful to touch only the center hub with your finger.
August 10, 2008 12:55:41 AM

jitpublisher, I expected better from you.
August 10, 2008 1:02:09 AM

Zorg said:
Are you sure it is a fan?

Unplug all case fans and boot with case open. when you hear the whine touch the center of the CPU fan with your finger and stop it, then touch the northbridge and graphics card fans in turn to stop them. Also check the PSU fan and if it is spinning, then take a non metallic (read non-conductive) "tool" and temporarily stop it as well. The plastic clip from a ball point pen cap should work. You can touch the blades directly with that. If the noise is still there, then it isn't your fans, because each in turn has been stopped.

You could be getting noise from the mobo or VGA or PSU, circuitry, or even from the HD.

Note: Be careful to touch only the center hub with your finger.

I was thinking the same thing.....the last whiney loud fan that I had was from a graphics card.
August 10, 2008 1:07:30 AM

If it's even a fan at all.
August 10, 2008 1:59:10 AM

stop all your fans one by one, even psu, gpu and cpu fans to see wich one is causing it... dont worry, 5 seconds of being forced to stop with a finger or pen wont damage a fan unless its spinning at 3000 rpm and you stop it "dead" with a pen (i cracked a blade doing that lol).

i think there is a chance that the whine noise is coil whine and theres not much you can do about it other than buy a new mobo or gfx card. ive never heard fands "whine" before
August 10, 2008 2:01:35 AM

ye infact im pretty sure its coil whine
August 10, 2008 2:36:10 AM

I sometimes get a weird high pitched noise which disappears over time, or when I turn off my screen of all things (its a very old CRT since I am currently poor....)
August 10, 2008 2:51:26 AM

Could be a capacitor about to blow.
August 10, 2008 3:18:18 AM

+1 @Zorg. Find out which fan(s) it is. It might not be a fan; could be an inductor, and it might be in your monitor. What brand and model of PSU do you have?
August 10, 2008 3:22:31 AM

what about his hd making a noise ? Or it's just one of the "voices" in his head whining...lol j/k op
August 10, 2008 4:59:00 AM

If the sound goes from a lower pitch to a higher pitch and then stays at a steady tone, it may be you power supply. Or if you have a CRT monitor it may be the flyback transformer. It might be a bearing on your hard drive, though not as likely as the PSU. The components on a motherboard are not large enough to make a significant noise level to be heard with the case closed.
August 10, 2008 8:06:14 PM

In response to most posts above:

100% fans. Every single one of them whines in some pitch. If I place a finger on every fan in the case, then and only then is there silence. Its the fans. Its every fan I've ever bought brand new or any fan I've had in my box-o-junk from years past. A high pitched whine of varying frequency depending on the size and location of the fan. Just to rule out confusion, this is not the somewhat higher toned whirl that small/fast fans produce.

August 10, 2008 8:15:27 PM

All the fans you own plus all the fans you bought can't be bad. Do you hear the whine with other PCs as well?
August 10, 2008 8:19:39 PM

Are you running them all at max rpm? It sounds like a fan controller or other means of adjusting speed would do you wonders. Slow them down.
August 10, 2008 11:20:04 PM

Zorg-

The fans I purchase either whine out of the package or shortly after. Experiencing this problem on three difference PCs with every popular brand name fan and the generic brands at my local shops.

jtt283-

I have tried lowering settings on fans that come with their own controllers such as the Antec tri-cools and the Zalman fan-mates. The noise does not diminish and the temperatures rise to levels I'd rather not have them at.

I've tried using various spacers to offset the distance of the fans thinking the air wash was creating the whine. I ended up only changing the pitching of the noise slightly. I almost want to try purchasing sound proofing material, but I don't know of a type that has a high enough noise reduction coefficient, low thermal insulating factor, and is thin enough to line the areas of a PC case.
August 11, 2008 2:22:23 AM

You may be cursed with supersensitive hearing. I know in my younger days, I could always hear the flyback transformers in TVs. I'm not sure what to suggest. An audio engineer may be able to suggest the best way to dampen the frequencies your fans are emitting.
August 11, 2008 4:34:10 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Could be a capacitor about to blow.

I guess you hitted it on the spot. The Directional noise was on the spot with this:

Quote:
Why in the hell is this noise semi-directional? I can change the pitch tilt and rotation of my head just the slightest bit and hear nothing ..but a 1/10th of a degree in any other direction and this ear piercing noise is drilling my skull.

Can put my finger on it, but a capacitor, or another component is probably to blame. Check the Monitor as well, or might be inside the PSU. if you cant find it, don't worry, it will blow up soon enough.

August 12, 2008 2:48:13 AM

I guess you missed this.
1hrboot said:
If I place a finger on every fan in the case, then and only then is there silence. Its the fans.

August 12, 2008 5:36:04 AM

Cosmos RC-1000 case. It's spendy, but it's silent.
August 13, 2008 3:03:07 AM

Just bought a brand new power supply. Inside of it, a standard 80mm fan. High pitched semi-directional whine soon as I power it up. Stopping the fan stops the whine.

Im cursed.
August 13, 2008 7:38:42 AM

1hrboot said:
Just bought a brand new power supply. Inside of it, a standard 80mm fan. High pitched semi-directional whine soon as I power it up. Stopping the fan stops the whine.

Im cursed.

God, thats a gift. I have a sensible ear, but nothing at this level. The only thing i can say is a get a PSU with a 120mm fan. They ussually operate under much lower RPM, and so no whine.

And forget if you ever thought of buying a high-end GPU. At least with stock coolers. It is strange no the less. You can hear that pitch.
August 13, 2008 8:48:43 AM

when i sit on my computer i start to hear a whining noise aswell. but it turns out to be my mother lookin for my to help around the house!!!
August 13, 2008 9:27:13 AM

ROFL!
!