ECS G31T-M Boot / POST error

Todd1406

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
I'm having a bit of a problem with a new ECS motherboard that I'm trying to get up and running. ECS G31T-M motherboard, 4gb of 800mhz ram and a brand new Intel E8500 processor. Everything installed in the case or out of the case, i get no post beep errors, the initial screen comes up, keyboard lights flash, it recognizes the processor and speed of it, recognizes the memory, gives me the options to press <del> to go into bios, but it just hangs there. I get no beep from it and all fans are running as they should. I've checked under it to make sure there are no standoffs potentially hitting the underside of the motherboard. The only issue i can possibly see is the stock Intel cooler is putting a lot of strain on the board and was wondering if it would cause this type of error.

Thanks for any help you guys can shed on this problem

Todd1406

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
Checked the ECS site for compatability, and the bios revision i have is compatable with the CPU. Tried clearing CMOS for 10 minutes with the power unplugged, it still refuses to boot past the initial post screen.

would welcome any additional assistance you might be able to give

zonewolf

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
I'm on my 3rd ECS G31T-M with this same problem. Either very, very unlucky, these boards just suck, or there is something that we (including ECS "tech support") are missing.

snbase

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
I am currently in the same situation as you, same motherboard and cpu. And it does the same thing, boots up and shows cpu and memory then hangs. What is the memory you are using, i have heard you need to make sure the voltage is either 1.8 or 1.9 or it wont boot. the memory i was using was 2.2v.

rcloughga

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2008
I have exactly the same problem described by Todd, Zonewolf and snbase, also using the combo of the G31T-M and an E8500. I bought a 2nd G31T-M to see if it was the 1st that was the problem...nope exactly the same, as described below.

LMK

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
I also bought a G31T-mother board and 4 gigs of ram, NO VGA, NO VIDEO, I can't find anything on this problem anywhere. The fan goes on, the keyboard and mouse light up, but I'm dead in the water if I cannot see anything. Should I return and get another type of 775 socket?

stephan790

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
The problem you are having is that this board will not recognize Wolfdale CPU's out of the box. You need to go to the ECS website and download the BIOS update for the board and install it and then it will work fine. Website is www.ecsusa.com.

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

The same way everyone else in the world has dealt with motherboards that were manufactured before the availability of BIOS support for future processors. Find the cheapest older processor that predates the motherboard and keep it around for this reason.

You can pick-up an older LGA775 Celeron for less than $30, even free with some mobo/CPU combo deal. Motherboards can't ship with BIOS support for every future processor that could ever be released.

G

Well, that's a bit unlikely that people would happen to have the same socket on their old system as the one they are upgrading to. Also, Fry's salespeople were very knowledgeable and didn't realize this problem. Agree that complete forward compatibility is challenging, but this appears to be a long standing problem, even just based on your response. Something worthy of solving. How about a cheap small auxiliary processor that is only able to read a new image from somewhere and flash the BIOS. http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/message/icon6.gif

tcsenter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
You don't need an old system, just the CPU. I have always kept spare Socket 7, 370, 478, 775, 754, 939, and AM2 processors on hand for testing purposes and BIOS flashing.

For those who don't buy enough motherboards on a regular basis to spend $30 on a cheap spare CPU, that is what resellers are for. If Fry's won't update a BIOS, buy from a reseller who will. Its not going to be free, so either way you go, $30 now or $30 later.

G

Strange. I run a G31T-M with a E8300 and 4 gigs of ram, and it ran out of the box. The DDR2 is value type kingston. When i bought the system i checked if it ran E8x00 series, and it did so i bought it. For what its worth, the box mine came in actually has a extra sticker on it saying it supports 45 mn processors.

Im happy with it, it was cheap so i could get a decent CPU/GPU and it runs perfect.

rastadog

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
I agree with the above. I bought the G31T-M with the E8500 CPU from Frys (on sale). BIOS was dated July 2007 and would not recognize the newer E8500 and hung.

I explained the problem to Frys. They of course will let you return the hardware during their 15 day window, but I just wanted a working system. So they sold me a Celeron 430. The BIOS did recognize that CPU. I downloaded the flash update from another computer and created a floppy disk. I ran that on the G31T-M computer and successfully updated the BIOS, then reinstalled the E8500.

BIOS now recognizes the E8500.

I then returned the Celeron 430 and got a full refund. In effect, I rented the older chip in order to do the BIOS upgade.

G

I bought a G31T-M motherboard and Intel Q9400 processor combo from Fry's, and installed 2x2gb of PC6400 800mhz RAM.

I had the same problem when I assembled my system: It would not boot up, and I couldn't even get into the BIOS.

The problem was my processor was too new and was not recognized in the old BIOS version (v1.0).

I took it back to Fry's and they flashed the BIOS with the newest version for free. Took about an hour and saved me a lot of headache.

I just installed Windows Vista 64 and I'm updating all the drivers...seems to be working just fine now!

gwg

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Bought E8500 & G31T-M in December.
Had Fry's in Phoenix update Bios from 6/29/2007 to 1/7/2009 just now in June.
They did it gratis taking 2 hours.
Windows 7x64 RC1 running now.