Adequate Power for This System?

jmacfarlane

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I ran my parts through a power utility and it seemed to pass muster, but I wanted to get real world opinions about whether people think that my PSU is enough for my system.

I'll be overclocking my 6600 to 3.2 ghz, not sure how much juice that will take but I'm guessing around 1.4v.

Here's the components:

DIAMOND RADEON 4870 PCI-E 512M DDR5
INTEL QUAD CORE Q6600 2.4GHZ RETAIL
1TB SATA II 3.0 GB 7200RPM HD
2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800 (2 pieces, 4 gb total)
VIGOR ISURF II HARDDRIVE COOLING
ASETEK 120MM WATERCOOLER
APEVIA X-JUPITER FULL S/GRAY 250MM
BLACK SONY 20X DVDRW
BLACK SONY 16X DVD
12-IN-ONE INTERNAL CARD READER
ASUS P5Q PRO P45 DDR2 CROSSFIRE MB
CREATIVE X-FI XtremeGamer RETAIL
GIGABYTE 802.11G 54MBP WIRELESS PCI
CASE FAN 120 MMM
CASE FAN
BLACK PS2 MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD
LOGITECH BLACK OPTICAL WHEEL MOUSE
WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE 64-BIT SP1

Here's the PSU:

NZXT 800 WATT POWER SUPPLY SLI

One thing that concerned me was when I used the configurator it had a section to drop the wattage based on the aging of the capacitors. I wasn't sure how fast they'd age and drop in wattage under normal use, not really seen many stats on this.

Thanks in advance for your advice :)

jmacfarlane

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Thanks for the replies :)

On the aging, that means using it for 6 hours/day I'm looking at 4 years before I'd need to replace. Not bad -- and that assumes 100% load all that time, which I won't have.

On the suggestion of the Corsair, reading the reviews, that PSU looks great! But I ordered my system so that was not an option for me. When/if I need to replace this one, I'll consider the corsairs :)

Homerdog -- you don't think the NZXT can't handle it, right? Just that your suggestions were a bit better/cheaper?

Thanks again!