ThaDr

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
Ok this is gonna be long so bear with me...

I recently purchased a new board, CPU and RAM for a long overdue upgrade. I installed all the components and the machine booted up fine, other than the dreaded dual boot. The problem I am having is a freeze or reboot during OS install. At first it was freezing during copy of system files, usually at the same spot of around 47%, but I have seen it all over the place. It won't let me do a regular format of disk without freeze or reboot, only a quick. After many tries and 3 different Win Pro disks, the other 2 with SP2 instead of 3, I have gotten as far as the 2nd copy of files in the XP GUI. Now I have tried to install IDE to IDE, SATA to IDE, IDE to SATA and SATA to SATA. One of either sticks of RAM in all slots. Purchased new PSU thinking that my old one wasn't powerful enough. Reseated CPU and cooler, added extra thermal grease. Reset BIOS settings to default. Cleared CMOS. I even tried installing Vista and Ubuntu just for kicks and got notta. The reboot comes out of nowhere and I have even had the thing freeze on me in BIOS once. I figured before I packed up the new items for RMA to Newegg I would ask here, after many searches, to see if anyone had any input.

Rig is as follows-
MSI P35 Neo2-FR LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboardwith 1.8 Bios
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
G Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
SAPPHIRE 100162L Radeon X1300XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16
Ultra LSP 650 Pro +12v=38A 650 watts

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR2 voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.

^^^ Thats from the mobo web page (in red)--- in short you most likely need to up your memory from the 1.8v to 2.0-2.1v that the new memory likes. Double check what your memory is supposed to use and set it to that.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
ThaDr one question is the northbridge getting hot,if you power up your pc is the northbridge getting real hot.it sound like something may be heating up causeing it to freeze up.

ThaDr

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
RAM says 1.8-1.9v, I tried 1.8 - 2.1 to no avail. Also tried upping the CPU voltage a bit and had no luck. Looks like I'm packing it up for an RMA.

As for the northbridge, the board has cooler pipes that run from north to south and I tested those as well as the cpu cooler and never noticed any excessive heat.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
ThaDr so I take it you put your fingers on the northbridge after it had been powering up for say 30 sec.see if they will let you exchange just motherboard.don't know what warrenty you got with the parts but it worth the try,I would hate to know you sent all parts back and had a different problem altogether.just trying to help.lol

ThaDr

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
Yup I did. I actually got them to give me a prepaid label so I don't have to pay to ship the parts back. I went ahead and replaced them all. Hopefully it will solve the problem. If not I think I am going to cry.