stick with what iv got or go crazy

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
just made my mind up i was going to wait till nehalem came out and build my system round that, see iv not been happy with the overclocks iv been getting with core2 6350 on an abit awd9max 975 2.6 at most and iv been looking at other ppls overclocks with envy so im going to get the 4870 and a asus p45 motherboard and have some fun overclocking the nuts of of the 4870 and my 6350

and by the time i upgrade again nehalem will be down in price

so what do yous think stick with what iv got or go crazy

http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/pt1cable.gif
:pt1cable:

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
go crazy, the nehalem is likely going to be rediculously overpriced just like every other 1st gen/"high performance" product Intel releases.

Rangers, i'm assuming you mostly play games on your pc; in which case the Nehalem's level 3 cache is not going to help that - I actually really think there is going to be a very nominal difference between 1st gen Nehalem and Final gen C2Q as far as gaming goes.. I could be wrong as I have no way to say for sure - but its just a hunch.

Anyways, i'd stay away from the p45 and go x38 or x48 depending on what features you'd like - the p45 only supports dual x8 pci-e lanes from any of the boards i've seen, so if you decide to crossfire your gpu at a later time the slower pci-e lanes have been shown to bottleneck the 4800 gpu's power.

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
just looked at tweaktown all i can say is GOD what a difference, and you can get the asus p45 ddr2 for £86 and the asus x38 is £122 so it is pretty expensive

Hovaucf

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
If you're going to wait then atleast wait till Nehalem is out and if you cant afford its new price then get the last gen stuff on the cheap. Also to make any performance assumptions of hardware still in proto or even ES eval stage is a bad idea.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Well, whats the release date of the Nehalem and x58? If you are willing to wait that long then go ahead. But I think it could be a pretty long wait for not much results..