Closed Solved

Certian Wav Files not Working for Win7

I am trying to use a certain wav file for my windows log off in windows 7 ultimate x64. The file is only about 7k and only about 0.5 second long. I have smaller shorter wavs that work, and larger longer wavs that also work. I know the sound file works, as I can open it in any media app and listen to it. For whatever reason I can not use it for any windows sounds. As far as I can tell it meets all the guidelines for use as a system sound.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about certian files working win7
  1. download vlc latest media player then try if not working then the problem is in the file...
  2. @pro-gamer
    kaynith is trying to use a wav sound he/she made to be used as a system sound, not trying to play it.

@kaynith
    Welcome! Although I understand what you are trying to do, I don't have a solution yet. I am going to look for it. May be someone will have an answer for you before me.
  3. Pure guess, there is something "wrong" with the file. Either the bit rate is wrong, or the Hz is wrong, etc. Run it and a file that does work through a audio program and find how they are different.
  4. @Pro-gamer I do use VLC player.

@Pyree Thanks for the support. Hopefully someone will.

@4745454b this was my initial thought as well. However, I never followed through. My bro is an A/V tech, and has all kinds of crazy audio software to check that, so I will forward it along to him.

I should also mention that this was a sound pack I originally gotten years ago, and used as my XP sounds, where said file worked! I even redownloaded the file just to make sure my zip file hadn't become corrupt. Thanks of the help, if anyone else has an idea please let me know!
  5. More info! On the advise of our numerically named friend, I had my bro check the bit rate and Hz of the non-working and working file. Both have a bit rate of 8 and are 8kHz.
    The non-working file would not work on his comp either (Dell running Win7 Home Premium x64). Mine is a custom built machine, that I put together myself, and his is OEM, so that is not an issue...There must be some tiny detail that makes it incompatable with win7 as a system sound. Too bad cause it worked with XP. If you like, you can send me a private message with your email addy, and I will forward the files along to anyone that wants to make an in depth analysis.
  6. Format : Wave
    File size : 27.6 KiB
    Duration : 1s 410ms
    Overall bit rate : 160 Kbps

Audio
    ID : 0
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 3
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Codec ID : 55
    Codec ID/Hint : MP3
    Duration : 1s 410ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 160 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 27.6 KiB (100%)

pulled these info from a window 7 sound

looks like they are actually an mp3 file, but changed to a .wav extension, not actually encoded in wav.
  7. kaynith said:
    More info! On the advise of our numerically named friend, I had my bro check the bit rate and Hz of the non-working and working file. Both have a bit rate of 8 and are 8kHz.
    The non-working file would not work on his comp either (Dell running Win7 Home Premium x64). Mine is a custom built machine, that I put together myself, and his is OEM, so that is not an issue...There must be some tiny detail that makes it incomparable with win7 as a system sound. Too bad cause it worked with XP. If you like, you can send me a private message with your email addy, and I will forward the files along to anyone that wants to make an in depth analysis.

this is scout _03 send me one of those file so will try it ,e-mail fanyvo@hotmail.com
  8. @scout_03 Sent!

@Pyree Perhaps I should convert it to an mp3, and then just change the file extension! (Note, I decided to try this just to see, and it didn't work!).

Interestingly enough, I decided to see if it would work in XP Virtual Machine, so I booted it up, and sure enough, it works there just fine as a system sound!!! Won't work for Win7 but will work for XP running in a virtual environment inside of Win7!!! :??: :pfff:
  9. Best answer
    your file is a 64 kbts so convert it to mp3 at 128kbts then reconvert the mp3 file to wav so that give you a value of 1411 kbts same as use in wimdows 7 sound
  10. @scout_03 Thanks This worked!!!

Awesome guys! Thanks for all the help...Now maybe I will be able to help someone out as well...
  11. Best answer selected by kaynith.
  12. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Windows 7 X64