Vista won't boot up

plsgrl

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
My desktop computer froze up and I had to restart it. I was opening a program and had to ctrl+alt+del to close the program. Then it said windows explorer wasn't reponding, so I restarted the computer.Then it wouldn't go further than telling me Windows is loading. I tried Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and the couple of other choices. None will get me to the Windows screen. I heard about going in through Linux. Not really sure about that but the data I have on the computer I really need. Any suggestions??

Do a repair setup of Windows, see if that will help, it will not delete any files from your drive.

The other option is to buy a new hard-drive, install Windows on that, and copy the files over from your old drive. You should do that anyway as it does not sound like you have any backups of you files, if you "really need" them, it's to a good idea not to have backups done. Drive failure is more of a WHEN issue not an IF.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Try to start up in Safe mode, it might take a while but persist until you reach Desktop. When the pointer has stopped swirling or whatever, you just need to do s good shutdown. After the shut dow (not restart) wait a moment or two. Power on and all should be good. You might want to consider not using your PC for long hours, don't have too many apps running at the same time, and check your free space is more than 20%.

It's not necessarily a hdd problem, if you could give your PC specs, it might only be a hardwarree problem. Also, some older programs can cause this glitch.