Sign in with
Your question

Major problem with the 4850!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 10, 2008 7:17:31 PM

I orderd 2 4850s for myself and my brother. My friend Bob also got one. We just recieved them and are having major problems. First off my videocard hoggs 3gb of ram. I know this cause when I install my old x800 it doesnt. Not only that but my CPU usage goes from 0% for the x800 card to 30% with the 4850. Games arnt even playable. My brother's computer has a gigabyte mobo but still has the memory problem yet his CPU stays at 0% usage. I have an Abit mobo so I know its the cards. The cards are by Asus.

Ive done a fresh reformat with no luck. Im running 64bit vista but my frined Bob is using 32bit vista and still has the same proble.

Why does everybody else on newegg say the card is perfect when im having so many issues?

More about : major problem 4850

July 10, 2008 7:30:04 PM

Since you don't list any system specs or temps, people will pretty much be guessing what your problem is. Here are some possible culprits...

Not enough power from PSU
Too much heat in case
Driver problem

Assuming you're playing at the same settings, that 4850 should murder the X800 card you have at gaming.
July 10, 2008 7:34:07 PM

lasttarget said:
First off my videocard hoggs 3gb of ram. I know this cause when I install my old x800 it doesnt.

That makes no sense, the video card would have no effect on your system RAM.

lasttarget said:
Why does everybody else on newegg say the card is perfect when im having so many issues?

You guys are probably doing something very wrong. What PSU are you using? Did you install the latest drivers? Does your case have decent airflow?
Related resources
July 10, 2008 7:39:32 PM

Im sorry im new to forums. This problem exist on two of my computers.

Mobo Abit AW9D-MAX
CPU E8400
PSU Antec Earthworks 500w
Memory 4gb

Bro's system
Mobo Gigabyte Ga-ex38-DS4
CPU E8400
PSU Antec 400w
Memory 4gb G -Skill

This problem occurs with a fresh install of vista 64bit before any drivers are installed and even with the drivers installed it still has problems. Im A+ certified and have had lots of experience in computers but this is just unbelievable.

With the x800gt installed I have no problems but with the 4850 installed windows keeps hogging ram till it gets to 2882 cached then stops with only 165 mb free ram. On only my computer does the CPU usage go up to 30% but this does not occur on my brothers computer with the gigabyte mobo.

What could be wrong?
July 10, 2008 7:48:27 PM

Do you have the 6pin power connector pluged into the power supply?

Are you going to try to run 2X 4850 with a 500watt power supply or just one. That is not clear.

And your Bro, 400watt prob. is not enough for a single 4850

quote:
450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended.
July 10, 2008 7:50:54 PM

is 500 or even 400w enough power to run these cards??? I would think no but I'm sure ATI has some "recommended" minimum power requirements on their site, you may want to check that.
July 10, 2008 7:53:09 PM

Yes i do have a 6 pin power connector to my video card. The PSU actually comes with two 6 pin power connectors.

My friend Bob just message me saying its cause of superfetch and that vista is made to use all your ram as a cache but that doesnt explain why when i use a x800gt card my computer only uses 700mg of ram.
July 10, 2008 7:54:25 PM

Lol I ran these cards in crossfire when I first got them and it didnt crash. I think the recommended PSU for crossfire is 550w with dedicated 6 pin connectors
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2008 8:01:39 PM

Did you remember to install the motherboard chipset drivers with your fresh install of Vista?

Installing the altest GPU drivers are one thing, but the card won't work right at all without the proper/latest chipset drivers.
July 10, 2008 8:08:43 PM

Yes I installed the mobo driver from the manufacturers website. I think I fixed the problem with my brothers computer. All i did was disable the superfetch service in vista. Now it uses only 771 mb instead of 3gb. According to my friend bob his visiontek didnt have the same problem the ausus 4850 did with superfetch enabled.

Now I just have to figure out why my CPU usage jumps after installing the 4850 in my computer with the abit mobo
July 10, 2008 8:09:39 PM

Did you remove all the old Video Card drivers before installing new drivers? @Control Panel

and use something like, Nasty File Remover ( Google, its a free download)
before installing new drivers
July 10, 2008 8:21:06 PM

Install xp.
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2008 8:26:42 PM

That's weird. I have Windows Vista (with superfetch on to my knowledge) and it chows down only 300-400MB of ram with an Asus 4850. Very odd.
July 10, 2008 8:28:04 PM

knotknut said:
Did you remove all the old Video Card drivers before installing new drivers? @Control Panel

and use something like, Nasty File Remover ( Google, its a free download)
before installing new drivers

No i didnt but what i did do was show hidden drivers in device manager and got rid of every other display driver.
July 10, 2008 8:28:42 PM

When you install a fresh copy of Vista, it takes a while for the OS to "calm down". Let it do what it needs to do and after a couple of days you should notice the OS behaving a little better.

Keep in mind that your video card does not use computer memory. It has it's own memory. Unless there is a driver bug, it's just a fluke in my opinion.

I installed a 4850 yesterday and I'm running Vista 32bit. I haven't noticed anything strange yet. I did not reinstall Vista. I'm also using the Catalyst 8.6 Hotfix drivers. The card works well.
July 10, 2008 8:30:20 PM

I heard that HIS brand video cards had some issues but thats about it.
July 10, 2008 8:35:04 PM

Im not the sharpest marble on the block but I have learned to remove the Nvidia, Ati drivers from "add and remove programs" ,Reboot and use a tool like Nasty file Remover,( check it out, it still finds files after removal). Then install the new drivers.
July 10, 2008 8:35:40 PM

Thx guys but I already fixed the memory problem. All i did was disable the superfetch in services and that droped the memory usage from 3 GB to 771 MB!!! Now i have the issue regarding my CPU usage keeping a 30% load at all times. I read a forum where a guy had the same issue due to installing realtek audio drivers so im going to disable my sound card.
July 10, 2008 8:47:41 PM

Ok, glad to hear problem fixed!
July 10, 2008 9:06:04 PM

I would turn Superfetch back on and let it run overnight, or maybe two nights until it's finished doing it's thing. I would look into the 30% usage issue first though.

Another idea is give the 8.6 Hotfix drivers a try (if you haven't yet) and see if it makes a difference.
July 10, 2008 9:35:12 PM

vista... i just threw up a bit in my mouth @.@
July 10, 2008 10:04:02 PM

gaiden said:
vista... i just threw up a bit in my mouth @.@

YOU CRACK ME UP LOL
July 10, 2008 10:07:41 PM

It might not be related to the new video card at all. Maybe sense it's a new install of vista it is re indexing everything, which could explain the cpu usage. Try turning indexing off and see if it makes a difference
July 10, 2008 11:59:18 PM

kyeana said:
It might not be related to the new video card at all. Maybe sense it's a new install of vista it is re indexing everything, which could explain the cpu usage. Try turning indexing off and see if it makes a difference

Tried it, but it didnt work. Thanks for the input tho. Ive done more trouble shooting.

Ive tried disabling everything including audio,ethernet,usb, and sata contollers
Ive tried going into safe mode but problem is still present.
Ive tried switching pci e slots.

Now when i put the x800 in it has the same problem so i think the problem may be the microsoft pnp driver.
July 11, 2008 2:25:49 AM

Okay i verified that the card works in xp 32bit and xp 64bit ( i get 0% cpu usage) and now im really lost.....is this problem software or hardware?
July 11, 2008 3:02:31 PM

Vista is known to keep itself busy for a couple of days after a fresh install. Just let it be. If after a week you still have this problem, call Microsoft and ask them.

BTW, have you installed SP1 and all the security updates? I wouldn't be surprized if it's quietly downloading patches in the background as we speak.
July 11, 2008 3:16:03 PM

Yes I have tried it with SP1 and still get the CPU usage problem. It is not updating windows and superfetch and indexing are disabled. I have a e8400 thats 3ghz and the gpu makes it use 30% of it but only one of the cores so its actually at 85% but the other core is at 0%.

I have had the 4850 in so long and tried so many troubleshooting steps that when i pluged the old 6600gt (nvidia) or the x800gt(ati) card the processor is still at 30% usage. This is good now im getting somewhere. This means that the problem is its software and it has something to do with vista installing a faulty driver for my unique configuration.
July 11, 2008 3:16:36 PM

Do you guys know how to disable PnP in vista?
July 11, 2008 3:21:05 PM

Are games still unplayable? CPU usage itself isn't necessarily bad...
July 11, 2008 3:26:01 PM

Yes games are definitly unplable becuase only one cpu is used at 85% which makes it hard for programs to utilize cpu.

GUYS... I just uninstalled my pci device driver in device manager and BAM! No CPU usage. Now my mouse and everything doesnt work but Im getting one step closer to the problem. Is there other drivers for the PCI device
July 11, 2008 3:30:03 PM

If it is using 30% all the time, have you check to see which process is using the cpu?
***EDIT*** 4min late on response. Glad you fix the problem.
July 11, 2008 4:09:05 PM

Sounds like you have the wrong/no chipset drivers installed
July 11, 2008 4:23:14 PM

Chipset drivers dont fix the problem. There are no processes that are using the CPU.

I need an alternate driver for ACPI for vista.
July 11, 2008 5:22:51 PM

OMG you guys will never believe how I fixed the problem

Basically it was due to the onboard sound on my motherboard, when I uninstall both audio drivers from the sound video and game controllers section of device manager it doesnt change the cpu usage but when u go under system devices and disable those high definition audio controllers BAM cpu drops to 0% right away.

This is definitely the hardest diagnostic I have ever done and I own my own computer business. LOL
!