USB ports not working

smithjk67

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
I have tried everything I can find to try but I can't get anything to work in the USB ports. OS is XP sp3 and they are 2.0 ports. I have disabled/re-enabled in BIOS, registry, and device manager. When I disable all the ports in device manager and restart, all the ports show back up but nothing will work in them. There are no conflicts reported, and it is both the front and rear ports. It has a MSI k8mm-v mobo and tech support from MSI has been less than helpful. I have updated all drivers that I can find for it, microsoft updates too. There was a pci card with 1.1 ports installed but I have removed that as it would give a bsod as soon as anything was plugged into it. I am assuming that it has something to do with the pci card but I can't figure out how to determine for sure. I have also seen something about ACPI causing conflicts but when I disable it I get a loop on startup.
Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Go into the device manager-->expand the universal serial bus controllers-->right click and uninstall all of the USB root hubs-->restart. They will reinstall on restart, and look for new hardware attached.

Make sure you have the updated BIOS. The most recent version is 1.A.

Check the motherboard connection from the front panel USB port, and make sure it's connected to the correct spot, and is secure.

smithjk67

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010

Thanks for the reply, since the motherboard mfr couldn't help either, I went ahead and installed a pci USB card in the open port. My friend told me after I worked on this issue for four days that the ports were fried in a lightning storm. Doesn't sound feasible to me that it would fry just the USB ports with nothing in them but I gave up and went for the easy answer, I didn't want to keep his computer too long.