remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Heres one for you all ! I am trying to install and run ATI TOOL on Vista 64. I keep getting this message:The Kernel Mode Driver does not seem to be runnung. A Device driver is required for communication with your video hardware. If you just upgraded from an older version it may help to uninstall atitool, reboot, then install the new version. Does anyone know what this means? I followed the link right from here?

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
The ATITool driver that is installed is not supported under 64-bit Vista and above, as it is not digitally signed by Microsoft. You either have to hit F8 at startup to go the OS load menu, and select "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" every time you start up, or get a program that will permanently disable it for you. I can't remember what that program is, but I do know of a program that will sign a driver so that Windows won't freak out about it. Got my ATItool up and running, although it didn't detect my 4830 properly and couldn't overclock it.

Here's the program: http://ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat_id=34

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Thank you. I have the 4830 and have it Oc'ed to 700/1100 with ATI overdrive. I scored 13755 on 3DMark06. But i cant go over 700 gpu clock with it. I will try the link.

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Hey jedimaster, is there a way to remove that program? It didnt work for me either. But now i have test mode in all four corners of my screen and a system build on the top in the middle??

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007

This is from the program's splash screen when you run it:

1. Go ahead download and launch the application from the link below. Inside its main menu, press on the "Enable Test Mode" button and follow the instructions on the screen. This will enable TESTSIGNING mode, which allows unverified system files to be loaded.

2. Now all you have to do is to add the unverified signature to the required system files. To do so press on the "Sign a System File" button from the main menu, and enter specific filename including full path. For example: if ATITool64.sys from C:\Windows\System32\drivers refuses to load due to driver signature enforcement, you should type: "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ATITool64.sys", and if you would like to sign more than a single file, just repeat this procedure until you’re done, and finally reboot.

After you enabled Test Mode and added signatures to the required system files, they should bypass Windows’s driver signature enforcement and load without any issues. However, if for some reason you are interested to revert it, you can re-launch the application, choose "Disable Test Mode" from the main menu, and reboot. If you encounter issues or having questions, feel free to post it on our forums.

Just follow the directions in the last paragraph. :)

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

It worked!:) Thank you very much.

randomizer

Champion
Use Rivatuner. It doesn't have the artifact scanner but it does provide overclocking for both ATI and NVIDIA cards and driver tweaks for NVIDIA drivers. It also has signed drivers, so workarounds are not needed.

Uninstalling ATI Tool and that workaround should fix the problem you had in the other thread and here as long as it also removes the ATI Tool driver.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Also, you can leave ATItool on your computer, and run the artifact scanner even though the driver doesn't work. It's the best thing to test your overclock, so I'd highly recommend leaving it installed!

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Really? When I test cards, I overclock only core or memory at one time to find the maximum of each, and test with ATItool, then I set both at the max I found, and test for stability. ATItool hasn't failed me yet!

randomizer

Champion
ATI Tool is extremely old now, it doesn't recognise anything beyond the HD3000 series I don't think.

@jedimasterben: ATITool would always skip over the point of stability and lock up my system. So did ATI Tray Tools actually; another good program there.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
I actually just used CCC to overclock my card. I found the memory's limit at around 1130 (CCC's max is 1200), so I backed it down to 1120 and it was fine. Then I started on the core clock (still in CCC and just using ATItool for artifact scanning) and then hit the hard limit of 700. So then I modified the BIOS of the card and found the limit at around 780, and backed it down to 770.

I never got around to using Tray tools, though I've always heard good things.

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

Hey jedimaster :) Can you help me adjust my core clock in my bios? I am using CCC too and i am at the maxx 700 core and 1150 memory. Im just not sure what to adjust in my bios to get the core up. Thank you for any help .

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007

Adjusting the motherboard BIOS and the actual BIOS of the graphics card are two different beasts. You have to first understand that you may brick your card by doing so.

I'd read EVERYTHING here first: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/154

Just don't do anything if you don't understand what the numbers mean, especially the device ID.

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything in that guide, as I really don't want anyone to brick their card!

And if you do decide to flash the BIOS, post some pictures of what RBE (Radeon BIOS Editor) shows that you're going to change!

Jedi Master Ben