cimpercee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Hi, just wondering if is it true that if you move the heatsink you must clean it and re apply the paste? what will happen if not?
because it seems my problem in POST is the temperature. im only using silicon paste. i will be buying the metallic paste if it will make a difference. my PC freezes. this is my 2nd PSU, HEC 550 W got 2 GB ram a dvd one HD as of the moment and 4850 to it.if my PC has will have problem with boot. removing one ram will solve my problem or, i have to let it off for atleast 20 mins and power it again.then sometimes it freezes while loading windows.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
What is the silicon paste you speak of?

Yes, if you take the HSF off the CPU, you must reapply the thermal paste before putting it back. If not, you run a change of overheating (which is likely what happened in your case). You can always purchase Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste from Fry's or Newegg for about 5 bucks.

cimpercee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
but may I know the reason why we have to reapply? it is still there on the sink and the back of the CPU. just for knowledge, :)

cimpercee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
when i opened it, i touched it actually spread with fingers. read articles not to touched it and use alcohol to clean it. I got a stock cooler though. Why is it the removing one ram will make boot as well if i won't shut it off for around 20 minutes? does it have something to do with dual channel,the memory controller with athlons? it crazy my electric fan facing my CPU now,opened the case. Got to look for metallic thermal paste.
is it also possible that CPU can overheat in seconds?

got a cheap mobo here, ASUS m2v-mx SE.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Ok as far as the reason behind removing and reapplying the thermal paste, you have to look at why you apply it in the first place: to fill in any slight imperfections in the surfaces of the CPU and heatsink, improving overall thermal conductivity between them.

Now, when you remove the heatsink you disturb the thermal paste that, by now, is after settling from a combination of physical pressure applied by the push pins or bolts, and the heat from your CPU. Some pastes stretch between the 2 objects, much like hair gel in your hands stretches a bit. This further disrupts the surface.

If you were to reapply the heatsink without cleaning and reapplying, these disturbances would trap pockets of air much larger (relatively speaking) than those that would have been traped by imperfections in the surfaces of the CPU and heatsink, resulting in a reduction in overall thermal conductivity between the CPU and heatsink.

Your CPU will start to overheat if you run it without a heatsink, and it'll get very hot in a very short space of time. However, if you're just checking if it posts then cutting the power, then it shouldn't cause any damage once you leave your computer off for a while to let the CPU cool down.