Sign in with
Your question

X-Fi Xtreme Audio Vs. Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

Last response: in Components
August 11, 2008 2:59:39 AM

Alright, here is the situation. My friend wants to swap his X-Fi Xtreme Audio for my Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, because he hates the drivers on the X-Fi, and its unstable for his system, for some reason. I don't have very high end speakers, an Altec Lansing 5.1 system:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
My Audigy 2 has the unit that goes in the front, with all the different inputs and outputs and dials and such. The X-Fi does not have this front unit. So my question is this; Should I keep the Soundblaster, or go with the X-Fi. My friend is convinced he wants the Soundblaster, and is going to buy one if I don't agree to swap, so either way, he ends up with a Soundblaster. Also, one more question. He doesn't care about the front unit, so is there any way that I can use it with the X-Fi? I'm assuming the answer is no, but I'm just checking.
August 11, 2008 3:42:49 AM

Keep the Audigy if you want the bay unit or need the bay unit. If you dont need it take that xfi and enjoy it. Its a bit better all around and will up your performance a tad over the Audigy.
August 11, 2008 3:56:28 AM

That would depend on what you need the sound card for. If you're just gaming, the Xfi is prolly the better choice. I haven't bought an X-fi yet, and prolly won't because of the lack of inputs and outputs. I actually have my eye on a Auzentech X-fi but that's more of an investment. But I am going to be using my sound card for midi stuff, guitar, digital recording.
Its unclear to me if the X-fi would be compatible with the bay unit but my guess would be no, as I have also noticed a lot less optional plugins on the pcb of the x-fi series.
If you could that would be a good trade to me.
Related resources
August 11, 2008 4:20:22 AM

well i used to have the Audigy 2 ZS and then i changed for a Xtreme Music and to be honest the difference is really noticiable. it has way better performance against the Audigy, it gives you way better sound than the Audigy. the drivers may not work properly in some computer but if you get them to work right they will help you a lot. Try PAX drivers if original dont work. All in all, the Xtreme Music is way better than the Audigy 2ZS. in fact i now own a Elite Pro and the difference between the Xtreme Music and the Elite is not that much, i dont see any change in sound neither in performance.
August 12, 2008 3:33:17 AM

Winly said:
well i used to have the Audigy 2 ZS and then i changed for a Xtreme Music and to be honest the difference is really noticiable. it has way better performance against the Audigy, it gives you way better sound than the Audigy. the drivers may not work properly in some computer but if you get them to work right they will help you a lot. Try PAX drivers if original dont work. All in all, the Xtreme Music is way better than the Audigy 2ZS. in fact i now own a Elite Pro and the difference between the Xtreme Music and the Elite is not that much, i dont see any change in sound neither in performance.

I would like to add another opinion:

I also went from an Audigy 2zs to an X-fi xtreme gamer and then to an Elite Pro (and all the way back to the ISA Soundblaster16 ages ago). So far the Elite Pro is the best sounding Creative Labs card, it handles 320Kbps MP3s very well with excellent inner voicing resolution and ample headroom and minimal artifacts and zero interference.

The difference between the EP and the XGamer was subtle but surprising under those conditions, for gaming they are the same in terms of FPS, top-speed... The EP does handle EAX HD + MP3 playback during gaming much better due to the local buffer.

I loved the 2ZS, but the EP is hands down superior in every measure.
August 12, 2008 6:29:04 AM

I'd say stick with the Audigy 2 ZS as the X-Fi Xtreme Audio is just a rebadged Audigy SE which is itself a cutdown version of the Audigy, performing most, if not all, of it's functions thru software, not hardware.
!