V8 vs v10 (C/Master)

4745454b

Titan
Somehow I doubt the nh-u12p cools better then the V10. Remember that the V10 has a Peltier in it. It might cool better then the V8 however.

Seeing as the V10 has a Peltier, only get it if you have a beefy PSU. Peltiers suck a lot of juice, so when its turned on, your PSU load will go up quite a bit. And Micky is right, before grabbing a V8, make sure there isn't a better/smaller cooler out there.

4745454b

Titan
It very well might. I remember reading about the V8 when it came out and remembering that it didn't cool all that well considering the size of it. The V10 is a very different beast however, it might even be the best "air" cooler out there. Being a part time Peltier however, I'm sure you need excellent case airflow.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Just checked a few sites... The V10 is not THAT much better than a Noctua, and I sure as hell don't feel like hanging 1.2KG off of my MB.

4745454b

Titan
I know Coolermaster set the V10 up so that the peltier didn't run all the time. It might perform better if you could alter the settings so that it ran longer.

As I said/impied earlier, while the V8 is a good cooler, I'm sure there are others out there that are just as good, or even better. The V8 due to its size won't fit in all cases or on all motherboards. Also because of its size it can't be sold for cheap. I'm sure there are a number of coolers ~$40 that will cool nearly as good as the V8 or even the NH-u12p, and those are probably good enough for me. (hell, I'm using a stock 95W Intel cooler on my 65W C2D chip.)

Take a look at This Review.
It gives a direct comparison between the three coolers in question.
You can also locate individual reviews of the other two coolers on that site.

As a short summary, depending on the fan setup, the Noctua performs about the same to a little better than the V8 while both perform worse than the V10.
With more extreme OC's, I would expect the V10 to pull further ahead as it's peltier gives it a major cooling advantage.