The 4850 fan speed workaround doesn't work for me

mosdapwn

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
I got 2 Gigabyte 4580s in cross fire , running at an amazingly retarded fan speed of 22% (16 in the old drivers)
A workaround was posted to control fan speed through editing the catalyst profile.
I edit the profile, set the algorithm to Manual, and then the fan speed percent which i tried at 30, 60 , 80 and a 100 percent.
I know it works for a lot of people , but for some reason , i load the edited profile , and no change whatsoever, if i save it again , its back to the original percentage.
There's a FanSpeedAlgorithm and percentage _0, and _1 , one for each card, and i set them both.

My room temps are also retarded, so am idling around 78-82C
I haven't even attempted gaming, i don't wanna throttle the bloody cards

Any suggestions or further editing to the xml file are welcome
Should I try disconnecting one of the cards and do the fan speed thing on the other one ?
And How long do I have to wait for ATI to update their catalyst so that the drivers would be fully supported, will that be the 8.7 in a few days ?

akhilles

Splendid
This is where I found the tweak:

http://www.rage3d.com/BOARD/showthread.php?t=33926633

This part is what I changed. FWIW, I edited the file.xml named after my account instead of creating one & loading it at startup. Basically, this profile loads at startup by default.

Code:
        <Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
          <Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want" value="0" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want" value="40" />

Well, although I don't like the high temps, I believe they are fine. You could try gaming if you'd like as long as you have good case airflow.

As for 8.7 fixing it, that would be nice. I know 8.7 beta didn't have it, but it has been a long time since then and I hope they'd have it on the release drivers.

What I can say, though, is that at 55% fan speeds these cards run nice and cool (yay Asus software).

mosdapwn

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
fixed the thing , reinstalled catalyst.Turns out there was a problem with all the overdrive, figured that out when i tried to oc the cards just abit, the sliders went back to where they were set. the overdrive functions were locked to default somehow and kept resseting what you did ... kinda strange ..
reinstalled catalyst , unlocked again, set the xml worked like a charm
btw .. 50+ on the fan is noise torture

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
yea, i had the same problem, until i unlock OD. however i have just bought a third part cooler so it isnt to loud. i think ATi have messed up with this under spec cooler.