Any REAL Benefits of NIC Teaming for Gaming?

husky mctarflash

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
I am considering a new MoBo, and one of my choices has dual Ethernet connections for NIC teaming. I play BF2 and other online games where lag and ping are crucial.

Considering I have a 6 Mb/s cable internet connection (or whatever the correct designation is), is there any benefit to teaming? If I understand it correctly, my current NIC will do 100 Mb/s, so my cable connection is clearly my bottleneck.

But would a teamed connection improve lag, ping, or any other factor I haven't considered?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks for the help!

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
No.

If anything, you're adding overhead by having an extra software layer sitting in between your game and your modems to synch the two connections.

Oh, did I mention for it to be any use whatsoever, you'd need two connections?

Basically, no.

*400th post! weee!*

husky mctarflash

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
The computer is sitting next to a router, and there are a couple spare ethernet connections on it, if that is what you mean.

Yeah, the whole thing fails the KISS test on face.

But this is the place, and I thought I would ask.

Thanks Antiacid--and congrats on the 400!

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
if you wanted to improve your ping and fps a little bit you can invest in the killer NIC. a gaming network card that offloads your CPU a bit so you get better fps, and lower latencies. but that thing runs 100+ bucks. not worth it imo. I'm not that hardcore of a gamer. I'm not tryin to win tournaments.

Only real purpose of NIC teaming is for say a fileserver on your home network dishing up HD content to other PC's in your household. Event then your router would have to have the capability to trunk two ports together. and before you know it you need an 8 port router with trunking capability. again your getting into big bucks which is why im sticking to just a plain old gigabit switch and a router and motherboards with only 1 network port. for now.