New mobo, psu, ram, and cpu..

daweinah

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I've already got one Zotac 512mb 8800gt AMP and will get a second when I build the new system. I'm going to keep my old case (AeroCool Spiral Galaxies), hard drive (WD2500KS), disk drive (NEC ND-3550A), but will be replacing the PSU, CPU, RAM, mobo, and selling the old stuff to my brother!

So, my partial new system build is looking like this at the moment and I wanted to run it by you guys to see if you notice and problems:

Mobo: EVGA 750i FTW
PSU: Corsair 620HX
CPU: E8400
RAM: 2x2gb Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066
GFX: Zotac 512mb 8800GT AMP

Which is about $800 after shipping and MIRs.

I will be doing some minor OC to the cpu, probably won't mess with ram or gfx. I'll also be playing on a 24" Samsung.

What do ya think? Is any of this hardware liable to be phased out really soon?

PS Is this the stuff I need for thermal paste when I replace the cpu coolers?

EDIT: Hmm it just occured to me that I might need a new CPU cooler if I give the current one to my bro.. I forget the model # of it, but it's one of those Zalman's with a blue LED, it was reviewed well when I bought it. I probably still have the stock hs&f that came with my cpu's retail box, and since my bro will probably not be OCing any, he should be ok with the retail fan.

Sounds good. You can save some money with a 650TX and DDR2-800.

Does that AeroCool case cool properly? That 8800GT has a single-slot cooler and no vent. The air can't get out of the case directly, so it will stay inside and the case fans will have to deal with it.

georgy

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
I plan also to OC a e8400 @ 3.6 ghz (minor OC) to fully use ddr2 800 at 1:1 ratio. You don't need more than ddr 800 if you don't go over 3.6 ghz.

daweinah

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Here's a link to the case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811196006

Although.. looking at it, the airflow is pretty much situated straight across the bottom. I don't use that plastic wind tunnel because it broke. There's no side or top vent or fan except for the PSU.

Thanks for the recommendation about the RAM.. it looks like CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB is not only cheaper, but has faster timings as well.

georgy, can you explain what you mean by not needing over DDR800 if you don't exceed 3.6GHz?

georgy

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
I will do my best, correct me if i'm wrong.

e8400 = 9 * 333mhz = 3 ghz
the frontside bus is at 333mhz but for some reason (dual channel?) you need to use a x2 multiplier for the memory speed so it would need ddr 667.

if you overclock it to 3.6: 9 * 400mhz = 3.6 ghz
the fsb is 400 mhz x2 for the ram = ddr 800

I will do this myself once i will buy my kit. It's a minor overclock because you don't need to play with many complicated things... no need to change voltage etc.

Read this and you will understand more:
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=717&p=0

You can set the MB to 400MHz, the E8400 to 3.6 GHz (it has a multiplier of 9), and the RAM to 400MHz*2. It's "*2" because it's DDR2. :)

Yeah, that case is not what I'd pick for 8800GT SLI. On the bright side, it's good that it's a full tower. Monitor the temps in nTune. If you don't like them add something like this:

Scythe KAMA BAY SCKB-1000BK 120mm 120mm Fan for 5.25" System Cooling
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185020

daweinah

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Ok thanks for the tips. Here's how my current build is looking:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=9806768
note that the PCI fan and case are not decided atm

This leaves me with only one issue.. dealing with the heat from the SLI setup. I like my case a lot (see OP for link), but it's not set up the best for cooling. There's two intake fans at the front bottom and one exhaust fan at the back. Nothing going on in the video card area to circulate air up there, except for the PSU fan.

So I'm thinking I have two options.. get a new case (expensive) or pick up a rear-exhaust PCI slot fan like this guy and put it in front of one or both of my vid cards.

daweinah

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Quieter is good.. but the reason I chose that fan is because of its length. The fan on my video cards is about 8 inches away from the expansion slot wall, so, in my thinking, I need a longer fan to reach closer to the fan of the video card so it can actually grab that hot air and blow it outside of the case.