Bad motherboard????

johnniej

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
I need some help please.
Long story. I deceided to upgrade my CPU and in doing so I bent the pins on the MB.
So I purchased a new MB. Installed the upgraded CPU I purchased and ran fine for a while. Then I started getting CPU over temprature error so looked it up and it said I probably needed the thermal grease since I removed and replaced it.
So I went and bought some of that and put it on and it was great.....for a day. Then it started all over again. Error message about temperture...then reboot and no message... random shut downs....freeze ups...boot up with no problem every forth time or so...otherwise have to boot in safe mode...

So having all this problem I deceided to take back the CPU today. I am thinking the bent pins on the old mb may have caused the upgraded CPU to go bad and I am going to try and get a replacement.

Which now leaves me with the most important question.....
Should I chance putting the new CPU I am getting today into the MB when I get it or could the bad CPU also have caused a problem with the MB too????

I am really not sure at this point if it's the CPU or the MB so I figure I will try and return the CPU because I purchased it local and see what they have to say.

Now if they give me one I am afraid to put it into the MB because, not know which was the problem I am worried if it is the MB that I could screw up the new CPU.

Is it possible that the MB could screw up the CPU?

Your thoughts please. This has been a nightmare for over a week now and I want to get my PC back up and running.

johnniej

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Yes it had the grease it came with but from taking it on and off with the old mb and trying the old CPU and then the new one and finally buying a new MB it needed some more.
I think I will give it a shot and see.
Thanks

TRENDING THREADS