tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Hello!
I've built quite a a few systems by now, but one thing has left me wondering - I've never seen a HDD top the 5,9 mark in Windows Performance score. Some older 5,400 IDE drives reached 5,4 or something like that, but up-to-date 7k+ drives all capped at 5,9, including the Velociraptor from WD. I haven't got my hands on SSD's yet. The indexing site says, that they're testing the "data transfer rate", isn't that capped by the SATA interface? Shouldn't they be testing read/write speeds or seeking times instead?

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I suppose I forgot to mention - I'm talking about the Win 7 index, which has been raised to 7.9. Has anyone seen a HDD beeing rated ABOVE 5.9 under Windows 7? I've seen Velociraptors reaching the top mark in Vista - 5.9 and the same in Windows 7. Somewhat hard to believe, considering it is among the fastest single drives on the market.

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Which is still not the top mark. Wow - Msft sure has set the bar quite high! And the Radeon 5870, beeing wolds fastest graphics chip, reaches only 7.2. Quite a difference from Vistas index, which was apparently too easy to top. Thanks for the replys, everyone, especially Zenthar!